From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:19:04 -0500

Hi Everyone!

Well, there are no words to describe what I would call a luncheon event
that was an absolute SUCCESS! Carrabba's was incredible, the service, the
food, the atmosphere - it was as they say in Italian - amore! The
conversation and fellowship was, as always, perfect! The surprise of the
day was the bread. Manna from Anna is truly bread from heaven!

I met with Dan, the manager of Carrabba's just before everyone arrived.  I
gave Dan my restaurant folder, which contains a thank you letter, important
celiac information and eating out challenges.  Dan was wonderful and
listened intently.  Of course, Carrabba's is an Italian restaurant so I had
to share the fact that celiac is very prevalent in Italy and every child
gets
 tested before the age of 8.  I explained our challenges and fears of
eating out.  Dan understood and he and his staff went above and beyond the
call of duty!  I ordered the "Pollo Rosa Maria" and I have to say, I think
this was the best meal I have had out in over two years.  Thank you
Carrabba's!!!!

MANNA FROM ANNA IS A GIFT FROM GOD!!! If you have not tried it, then what
are you waiting for??? Here's the web-site www.glutenevolution.com  I'll
tell you the story so you know I am not just being dramatic but telling
you, that someone has finally got it!!! As most of you regular maelstrom
readers know, I published my web-site a few weeks ago (www.charlotte-celiac-
connection.org).  Well, I had quite a few companies who wrote and asked me
to post a link to their web-site on my web-site.  I try to accommodate
everyone (of course, I checked their web-site out first) but Manna from

Anna went a step further and offered to send me a few samples for our
support group.  How could I say not to such a generous heart, even though I
truly believed this would be no different than the thousand of other breads
or bread mixes I have tried and then had to throw away or make them into
bread crumbs. So, even after a very long and tiring week of work, I got up
early today, this Saturday morning, to make two loafs of Manna from Anna's
breads.  I even screwed up the timing since I was supposed to put tinfoil
on them after 15 minutes and continue the timing.  The buzzer went but I
got lost in time talking to a newly diagnosed celiac, Harriet.  After I got
off the phone I had to periodically stick tooth picks in the bread to
assess when they were done.  Well, at Carrabba's the restaurant manager was
so wonderful and was fine with us having our Manna from Anna bread.  My
expectations were very low.  The waiter sl
iced it in back and brought them
out in baskets, just like pre-celiac days.  Yet, who in their wildest
imagination would dream this bread would taste even half way decent let
alone just like the bread I remember. It was a time warp! We were even able
to dip it in olive oil and fresh herbs.  The bread was still warm since I
wrapped them in tinfoil! You're a GENIUS Manna from Anna!

I don't quite understand why Manna from Anna is changing their name (to
Breads from Anna) but I think some better names would be: "Bread is not
Dead" or how about "Bread from the Head" or "Be the Bread" - bottom line,
if you have not tried it, then go online and place your order today! To
give you an idea of how good it was, everyone could not wait to take an
extra slice home, everyone is placing an order, and several people said it
was even better than the meal! You do not have to toast this!!!

Now onto the meeting,I thought it was going to be a flop because previous
plans to go to the water park fell through.  However, we had a great mix of
people at this month's event!  We had two very supportive non-celiac
husbands come (thank you David and Ben).  Jeff came too with his 3-year-old
cliac daughter, Angela.  A father's love runs deep!  We had several new
members show up (Nancy, Sharon and Jan) so there was an added surge of
energy and new information! Chandra Ann has been out of town but is now
back in Charlotte, no place like home.  (Chandra, you and I will get caught
up next month!).  Pat, our dietitian, is always interesting and has thought
provoking facts to share.  We talked about everything under the sun
(including living under the Tuscan Sun), such as: mineral testing/levels,
symptoms, strange or unique celiac symptoms, celiac denial, celiac testing,
genetics,
genetic testing, scientific inroads, pizza tips, shopping, small
towns, big towns, great doctors, bad doctors, even menopause (not celiac
related but some us wondered), psychological aspects, dining, social
situations, pain, etc. etc. This was another luncheon of too much
information and no stenographer to get it all down!

Another highlight was when Ashley, our group psychologist (since she's
working on her phD in health psychology) offered an observation so we took
a poll. So, our survey says "ALL CELIACS ARE TYPE-A PERSONALITIES!" If you
want to have your say in our poll, write me with your self-analysis and
I'll tally and send a post back out.  Do you think you are Type-A or not?
If you are Type-A, then why?  What are your strong Type-A behaviors?

I think everyone left feeling they were amongst friends and people who
cared and understood.  Support in the true meaning
 of the word!  Well, I'm
sorry for running on and on but this was one of the best meetings in our 5-
month history. I share this so that those who don't know how to get the
suport they need, just take the first step and post a note here.  It can
just be a meeting of two but it will be a moment you will not forget, I
promise you!  Alright, no more wine for me...:>)

Warm Regards,
Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC
The Queen City