From:
celia2004 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
celia2004 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:54:26 -0500

Thanks to all who responded.  It's great to hear people's actual experiences
and also the helpful ideas.....
I'll try to summarize as best as possible.

People suggested using the following (number of responses in parentheses if
more than one):
Planters/Kraft Foods (7) - read labels; they will list all ingredients
http://www.sunorganicfarm.com/
http://www.NutsOnline.com - in shell only; others may be cross contaminated
trader joe's nuts (5)
Whole Foods Brand nuts
Fischer's Nut
Westerly's on 8th Ave and 54th St, NYC
nuts from the growers (e.g. In Montezuma Georgia - Swartzentruber)
Peter Pan peanut butter
NUTS 4 U located in Texas

Questionable
============
Woodstock Farms - label on cashews says made in plant that processes gluten
containing foods; one person said they have reaction to Woodstock Almond
butter but don't know for sure if it's gluten reaction; one person said they
 eat Woodstock farms nuts without problems

Details
=======
No matter where you get your stuff, if it's in the shell it should be
gluten free
crack your own nuts to be on the safe side
================== D=====================================================
celiac daughter eats the honey roasted peanuts and cashews and reg. cashews
from planters and so far so good. The doctor said her bloodwork shows that
she is gluten free
Fischer's Nuts - when I called they told me all of their nuts were GF
Trader Joe's nuts.  We buy the Salted Blister Peanuts.  They are really good
and they don't seem to bother my 3 year old Celiac daughter
 D=======================================================================
I eat trader joe's nuts all the time.  Good to know about Woodstock
Farms - what a disappointment! - may explain some of my reactions,
which I thought was to almond butter.   I eat Whole Foods Brand nuts &
nut butters
I.M. Healthy makes great soy nut butter, both creamy and crunchy. My kids
like it too--excellent substitute for peanut butter. The label indicates
'gluten free.'
Diamond nuts
Smucker's peanut butter
Kettle almond butter
very sensitive celiac and I have trouble with mixed nuts, but I've done just
fine with Planter's, Trader Joe's and Safeway's roasted cashews.
I've never had trouble with any P-nut butte
r I've tried.