From:
Susan Alintoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 14:09:23 EDT

Hi everyone-

Does anyone (especially the chemists/scientists on the list) know if
tocopherol (or d-alpha-tocopherol) is gluten free? I know that it can be derived from
wheat germ oil, but does anyone know if the protein portion of the wheat
(gliadin) would be in the tocopherol? Or is it like distilled alchohol, where the
distillation process would remove any gluten from the final product? I'm asking
this because my child's doctor has recommended mineral oil for a laxative,
and I noticed that every brand of mineral oil has either d-alpha-tocopherol or
mixed tocopherols listed as an ingredient (as a stabilizer). I searched the
archives and couldn't find an answer. If not, does anyone know a specific brand
of mineral oil that is gluten free?

Thanks,
Susan in Ct