From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:05:27 -0400

I'd like to take a poll about lactose intolerance.  I searched the
archives, and PubMed, but didn't find the answer to this specific question:

How many celiacs were lactose intolerant before being diagnosed and the gf
diet, and for how many of them did the lactose intolerance resolve?

If you would help with this poll, please reply in an email, writing "no,
not L I"  in the subject line if you were not previously lactose intolerant.

If you were previously lactose intolerant, write "yes, L I" in the subject
line and then a little note saying whether it resolved after the gf diet or
not.

I'll set up mailboxes with filters to make it easier to tally the results and
will summarize the results.

It is known that there is genetic lactose intolerance, and also L I that
develops because of lack of use (the lactase production is
transcriptionally controlled).  But I always wonder when I meet someone who
is lactose intolerant which type they are, or if they could be one of many
undiagnosed celiacs out there.  The kind of info from this poll would be a
piece of the answer to that question.  Thanks for responding.

Mary Thorpe/Ithaca, NY