From:
Bonnie Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 22:27:47 -0400

I would thank eveybody who reponsed to my questions about camping. This
is my first time camping, and along with preparing meals, all your help
was a big relief. I am grateful!

Here is a summary of each response:

**Phone ahead to see if there is a freezer in the camp store, so you can
borrow some room for your frozen GF food. Also take fresh fruit, vegetables,
potatoes, macaroni/cheese whiz, rice and GF cereals. Also pre-make some
snack foods. Prepackage pancake mixes. Plan each meal before you leave.
Reserve a corner of the grill for the meat that are for the GF food.

** Stored GF bread in a cooler. Found eggs and cereal the easiest for
breakfast, along with muffins. Sandwiches were great for lunch. For dinner
pasta (corn, and rice)  with already prepared sauce. Grilling meat. For
snacks: various fruits, chips, candy bars (be sure to store candy bars in
the cooler). Put eggs in plastic egg containers, or on top to prevent
the egg carton from getting wet, and falling apart.  If going hiking
make a combo: M&M's, Rice grains, peanuts, etc. and put this in a plastic
bag. Plan out each meal, and make sure to bring all GF foods needed.

**Check out Betty Hagmann recipe books, for her travel ideas.

**Dinner most meats cooked on the open fire. Wrap potato's in foil and
cook them over the fire or on the rocks next to the fire. If you make
a lot of potato's use the extra for breakfast and make homefries. For
breakfast eggs, and bacon. Mix all dry ingrediantsfor pancakes ahead of
time and add your milk and egg there. Take fruit. Bring a lot of food.

**Take a food dehydrator nad make your own beef/turkey/chicken/lamb
jerky, dried fruits and vegetables, fruit rool ups, etc. Cans of legumes/
beans are always good for fillings, etc. Remember the can opener, and
make your own foods to bring along.

**Have an electric cooler you plug in an adapter, keeps water out of the
GF food. Take another cooler for ice, drinks, etc. Take foil. Take spices
and plan the menus ahead of time. Sandwiches for lunch. For dinner grilled
meats, and baked potatoes(white or sweet) in foil. Alos baked beans and
hot dogs, fruit, brownies, or cookies made ahead of time. Cereal and toast.

**Freeze a gallon or two of juice before going and them put them in the cooler
this doubles up for ice, and stays cool till you want it.

**Thank you to the list owner who sent me the Nov. 7, 1995 list entry about
Menu for Camping - this information was good for me. I joined the list
after that, so taking the time to send this was helpful.

**Call Alpineaire Foods (916) 272-1971 they sell freeze dried foods.

**Steam rice on a Coleman camp stove, pre-measure 1 cup portions of uncooked
rice in plastic zip-lock bags before the trip. Watch the flame carefully
because a breeze can blow out the flame. Start cooking the rice while you
prepare the meat and vegetables. Stir fry cook easily. Pre-pack dried onion,
cornstarch, and brown sugar in zip-lock bags, or in small Tupperware
containers. Small plastic cutting board is a must. Heat dishwater while
eating supper. An alternative vegetable is canned yams heated along with
canned pineapple, brown sugar, and corn starch to thicken it.

Again thank you for all your responses. If anyone has any thing else to
add that would be welcomes to. This help will make this first time
experience a great time. Thanks

Bonnie Hall