From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 09:38:33 -0500

It seems odd that celiacs are told to avoid distilled grain alcohols
such as whiskey, bourbon, and vodka but that we're chided for questioning
distilled grain vinegar.  And when we do question it, we have nonceliac
individuals tell us that, in THEIR opinion, distilled vinegar isn't even
worth the effort to test.  Is it any wonder that those of us with gluten
intolerance have little to go on except for our own body's reactions to
various products?

Those who are in the know about distillation, please explain it to us.
Also explain why distilled grain alcohol still has gluten in it, while
distilled grain vinegar does not.  I'm not ignorant (I have a Ph.D.),
but distilled products and chemistry is not my field.