From:
KEstes6534 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 19:08:52 EDT

This is a letter that I received from Patricia A Lombardo, Consumer Affairs
Manager from Sargento Products.

We are please to tell you that most Sargento natural cheeses should be
acceptable to a gluten free diet.

Sargento shredded Imitation Mozzarella cheese contains a modified food starch
which may contain gluten..  We would also not recommend that anyone on a
g/f diet eat our shredded taco cheese, or our shredded nacho and taco cheese
or our 6 cheese zesty mexican recipe blend.  There is wheat flour in the spice
mixture.

For obvious reasons, we would also not recommend our Mootown snacks cheeze &
sticks, and pretzels or cookies and creme.

You will notice that we use microcrystalline cellulose as an anti-caking agent
on most of our shredded cheeses.  When added to shredded cheese, cellulose
prevents the shreds from sticking together.  It is white, odorless tasteless,
totally natural powder made from cellulose, a naturally occurring component
of most plants & not derived from wheat.

The source of the vinegar in Sargento Ricotta Cheese can vary; it is triple
distilled and to the best of our knowledge, no gluten is present.

1-800-558-5802