From:
Willingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 21:27:23 -0400

I made a variation of the comment that hairspray is probably safe with the
assumption that most people know that hairspray is properly used by being
lightly sprayed upon the hair.  The comment that:

"One can get a reaction from a product containing gluten touching the skin
[ex.  shampoo, hair dyes, etc, etc, etc] or just breathing it in.  Many of
us have related walking past a bakery or pizza parlor and getting a
reaction."

...may be true. But it is also inaccurate to make wholesale statements
regarding the safety of products because some people have atypical reactions
to things.  Many people (and that would seem to be a subjective statement)
may have reactions walking past bakeries, but many more do not and therefore
it would be unreasonable to tell celiacs not to walk past bakeries because
they may have a reaction.  If it turns out they do have a reaction, they can
figure out for themselves not to walk past bakeries.

That said, I suppose I should have qualified my statement by saying that
"used properly and under most circumstances, I believe that hairspray should
pose no problem to most celiacs."   I think we all need to be more careful
distinguishing between opinion and fact, and less alarmist when considering
uncommon scenarios.

Just a thought...

Terri