From:
Chase Delaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:57:32 EST

As I have received over 75 responses to my post regarding insomnia and its
possible connection to celiac disease, I can only conclude that there is,
indeed, a connection.

I thank you all so much for responding, and particularly for your generosity
in taking the time to offer conclusive suggestions and reports on what has
worked for you on the battlefield of sleep deprivation.  I AM SLEEPING
BETTER!  In part, I am convinced, because I am no longer isolated in my
challenges, either from celiac disease or insomnia.  This list is a godsend.
Recommendations follow.  Italics indicate my feedback:

* Many folks reported the use of anti depressants and other medications as
sleep aides: xanax, doxopin, panadol, klonopin, ambien, benadryl (contents
of Tylenol product "Simply Sleep"), elavil, Tylenol P.M.

* More than half a dozen folks recommended the herb VALERIAN.  I bought some
but haven't tried it yet.

* Herbal teas, taken just before going to bed, were mentioned frequently,
such as chamomile.

*  CALCIUM supplements.

*  Unsweetened grapefruit juice before bed time. This works for me!

*  A shortage of the following vitamins could be the culprit in insomnia:
B12, sodium, calcium, digestive enzymes.

*  Hyper adrenals may contribute to insomnia, as well as thyroid problems.

*  Listening to a soothing, peaceful audio tape can help you sleep.

*  Many folks swear by EXERCISE and plenty of it, especially early in the day.
One person suggested exercising in the late afternoon, but NEVER just before
bed.

*  Warm milk is as popular as ever as a sleep remedy.

*  SUNSHINE early or first thing in the morning is a popular remedy, as many
folks reported having the most difficulty sleeping during the winter months
(in USA, Jan., Feb. March), possibly related to S. A. D. (Seasonal Affective
Disorder).

*  A WARM BATH is mentioned often as a sleep aid.

*  Avoid caffeine from mid afternoon on; no alcohol late in the evening.

*  NO MSG

*  Never eat a big meal just before bed, but a light snack of carbohydrate
only is helpful.

*  Eat snacks WITH PROTEIN throughout the day.  Regulate glycemic control: in
other words, don't overindulge in sugary foods.  In fact, completely
eliminating sugar, including fresh fruit, from the diet has helped some folks.

*  ELECTROLYTE BALANCE is key for obtaining good sleep.  I have started
drinking Pedialyte after diarrhea episodes - extremely helpful.

*  Going to bed and rising in the morning at routine times is critical to
"good sleep hygiene."

*  Some folks said that they have trouble sleeping only when they have
accidentally ingested gluten:  others slept really well (were completely
wiped out!) after ingesting gluten.

*  Restless leg syndrome has been a cause for sleep problems for some folks.
Not for me.

*  OVER ACTIVE GUT was frequently theorized as a cause for insomnia for us
celiacs.  I strongly agree with this, and I have subsequently eliminated
onions/garlic/spices from my PM meal.  It's really helped.

*  Some folks wondered if I was male/female because the "menopause thing" can
contribute to insomnia.  I am indeed female, but way premenopausal.

What HAS definitively worked for me over the past week or so is dabbing my
face, especially near my nostrils, with essential oil of LAVENDER and then
rubbing it into my hands so that it gets onto the sheets on my bed.  This
aromatherapy remedy, plus using a "Sweet Dream Balm" on my temples made of
olive oil, beeswax, lavender and chamomile is really helping.  I also am
keeping sugar to a bare minimum in my diet, having some protein with all
snacks/meals, making sure that I especially do not go to bed hungry.  I keep
a strict routine now of going to bed, but especially getting up at the same
time every day.

Best wishes and sweet dreams and many thanks to one and all!