Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 11:01:55 -0700

After turning out a succession of inedible breads, and then storing my
machine for many months, I decided to give it one more try.  I combined my
success at making Bette Hagman's french bread recipe with the machine's
Quick bread feature, and now every loaf is perfect.

First, I put the yeast into warm water with a bit of fructose (sugar) and
let it get bubbly (called "proofing" the yeast).  This takes about 5
minutes.  While this is happening, I mix the dry ingredients and put into
the machine.  On top of this I add the egg whites, melted margarine and
apple cider vinegar.  Last, I add the yeasty water (using slightly less
than the recipe calls for).  Then I turn on the machine and with a soft
rubber spatula, help it mix.  The quick bread setting takes a total time of
1+1/2 hours and doesn't beat down the bread for a 2nd rising, as the
regular bread settings do.  I have made this recipe in the machine at least
a dozen times now, and every bread is perfect.

Here is Bette's recipe: "Rapid-rise French Bread" in "More from the
Gluten-free Gourmet"

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

Hope these tips help others.  I intend to try other recipes, but this is
our favorite, and is incredibly easy to make.

Ellen