From:
Monica Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:37:34 -0500

Finally,getting aroung to it.I've had yet another computer crash since
asking about psychiatric and psychological symptoms.There are so many
that I meant to reply too.If anyone wants to reply again,feel free.I
lost everything again! My GI doesn't believe that celiac can have an
effect on emotional health.I'll try to breakdown the posts from memory.

This one's pretty easy.There were over thirty replies.All,except one had
seen a great improvement or total eradication of these symptoms,except
one.This person had reported that it had gotten worse since going GF.

One had said that irritability came on with stomach pain.

Some had been diagnosed before they realized that celiac had an impact
on emotional health.After going GF,they had reported more even
moods,less irritability,depression,anxiety,more energy.Even more serious
symptoms,such as paranoia and hallucinations have dissappeared since
going GF.

Some self diagnosed,reporting that all these symptoms had dissappeared
after going GF.Some of these later got an official diagnoses.

Many had psychiatric symptoms most of their lives.They improved or just
plain left after going GF.One was even able to get a Master's degree
after being debilitated most of her life.

Quite a few said that B-12 shots helped.

There were about 3 members who had asked about Hypoglycemia.They felt
that it was also a factor in their and their  children's lives.

Most had said to find a different doctor.

I've gone gluten free for a week so far.I have more energy,can finally
go to sleep at night,less apathy and depression.Forgetfulness is much
better.I have a more general sense of well being.My back isn't burning
or itching this past week.I can tell most hypoglycemic reactions from
gluten reactions.They come on more suddenly with heart palpitations.

My The Antigliaden and antiendemesial  (sorry I know this is written
wrong) tests came back negative.She said  on my answereing machine that
my iron is on the lower side,but I'm not iron deficient.

I'm going GF anyway,because it does seem to help.She doesn't want to do
any biopsies,but I'm due for a check up for small  polyps in the colon
and an esophagial ulcer.Hopefully I can talk her into doing a biopsy at
the same time,if she'll agree to An upper and lower GI for the checkup.

Thankyou all so much for your support and information,
Monica