From:
Maren Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maren Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 15:32:13 -0700

BlankHi to All,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request.  Sorry it took me awhile and I am going to do what someone else just did to summarize:

 To remind you about my question:  I asked if anyone had information about the possible connection of CD to inflammation and heart problems.  Including information about lab tests that included a positive ANA, high C-Reactive Protein, and high level of homocysteine.  I also have chronic issues with pain, fatigue, stiffness, firbromyalgia, etc.   Here are the reponses:

You should think about the possibility of magnesium deficiency (not uncommon in people with CD).  Read a book called "The Magnesium Miracle" by Dr. Carolyn Dean.  It could really help you.  Magnesium is crucial to cardiovascular health.

--------

Just saw your post of May 4.  I have a positive ANA.  I would pursue that with a university or somewhere. I have Scleroderma also called Systemic sclerosis.  It was diagnosed because of my positive ANA.  There are 2 types of this autoimmune disease one is acute-comes on suddenly, causes hardened skin, then goes into remission (sometimes) & the other type comes on slowly over years, but causes hardening in organs, by calcinosis, reynauds, Esophageal dismotility, sclerodactly(puffy fingers), telangiectasia (red face w/red lines).    I had to become very sick & have heart damage (hardening in the left side)& took many yrs. to pin it all down.

--------
A wonderfully concerned patient of mine has cc'd me on her email to you about your condition. We have seen many patients with the profile you have (+ANA, + CD, +Hcy, Chronic Fatique,...). I do not know where you live but may I suggest you read the book UltraMetabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman?

It will explain to you the overview that is required to get a handle on this auto-immune process you obviously ave going on. A case like yours requires the 'big picture'. You likely have other irritants (allergies, toxic metals, chemical toxicity,...) besides gluten, and other problems. I can't get into a long email with you. Consider reading the book-it should give you a direction to move in.

--------

My son was diagnosed with CD at age 8, and his heart was enlarged at the time.  He was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy one year later when his heart was still enlarged.  This is not what you're describing, but it is a heart condition, and it may be related to CD.  He was profoundly anemic at the time of the CD diagnosis, which put such a strain on his heart.  He now has an ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator) and takes some heart meds.  He's 18 years old.  I have always believed there is a connection, but nobody would ever admit to that.  I think they feel I would blame myself for not noticing the symptoms of celiac (there were none).

---------

I have had more than one positive ANA, homocystine and C-reactive protein.

Last year I was short of breath, tired, abnormal EKG's.  I was sent to the
ER and was admitted.  They did an angiogram and found no plague but could
not get into one of the arteries.  They tried for about an hour.  MRI of
the heart proved an abnormal (possibly from birth) positioning of the
arteries.  I would have to get out my MRI to tell you exactly what it said
but from what I understand I have an extra artery on one side going around
the other arteries.  And of course one missing from the other side.

I went to Mount Sinai in New York City and was told I did not need surgery
for the heart. I did find out why I had symptoms though.  I had a tumor in
the lobe of my lung.  I had a lobectomy June of last year.  It was
cancerous but a slow growing cancer (Carcinoid) so it is not as scary as
other lung cancer.

I do not feel the heart problem is connected to anything.  I think I was
born with it.  I was told I do not need to be on any extra medication for
it.

I do feel the lab tests for inflammation are connected to the celiac and
interstitial cystitis because they are also autoimmune.

I can not believe I read your post.  I thought I was the only one with all
these problems.

---------

I had open heart surgery at age 17 for superventricular tachycardia. I had
to have a pacemaker implanted after the surgery because of complete heart
block. I also have mitral valve prolapse and a heart murmer. I wasn't
diagnosed with celiac until I was 31 (I am about to turn 35). The surgeon
who did my last pacemaker implant said he thought I probably had the celiac
from the time I was a baby ... but there's no way to prove that. Given my
history of health problems, I would tend to agree. But again...no proof.

----------
I just posted some info on inflamation...a pharmacist friend attended a
conference given by md's.  Celiac, diabetes and alcholism are on the same
gene stgrand.  Diabetics have inflamation which accounts for the high
incidence of heart problems.  I have seen nothing about celiac...but it
stand to reason....

The latest reseach  and I mean the very latest shows that  you should take
Omega 3...one thousand mg at least a day and aloe vera capsules..2 a day to
reduce inflamation.

----------

I drink a product called Mangosteen Juice...I am also a distributor..it is a
nutritional health beverage.  I can mail you a cd by several doctors that
shows that this natural product lowers CRP levels which shows a direct link
with immflamation.

----------

BEFORE I GOT ON TPN I HAD LOTS OF HEART PROBLEMS
MY HEART WOULD LITERALLY JUMP, IF I DON'T GET ENOUGH HYDRATION MY HEART
HAS PAINS , ABSORBING THE RIGHT KIND OF NUTRITION IS VERY IMPORTANT, GO
TO BOTTOM LINE HEALING  I THINK YOU'LL FIND SOME HELP RIGHT IN YOUR OWN
KITCHEN

--------
High homocysteine levels could be as a result of low B12 or folate
levels. Before you start supplementing ask your doc to run a urinary
MMA. that will tell you if you need folate as well as B12.  I have a
genetic mutation which causes raises homocysteine levels and have to
take 1mg of folate a day,plus I have B12 shots. that keeps the
homocysteine low.

my C reactive protein is high again, it dropped when I went GFCF and
off all grains. I started eating grains in Jan and my April test
shows it high again so it looks like I have to go off grains again.

I thought that ANA was associated with lupus.  That would explain the
inflammation as well.

Good luck with finding answers