From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:29:52 -0700

Kim Miller, our product liason at Burger King, called me this morning to
thank our whole List for its work helping BK interface with the celiac
community, and for its input on their coated fries experiment.  For those
new to the list, we set up an email->fax link which funneled many comments
into their offices about the commercial benefit of making their coated
fries gluten free.

In part due to our efforts, and of course largely due to their recognition
of the many people with food allergies, their new coated fries are
completely free of milk, egg and wheat.  As part of their rollout,
corporate staff is visiting every unit in America to verify that:

    (a) no old french fry inventory is left in their freezers (some of
which had gluten added as part of an earlier experiment), and

    (b) each unit is properly following the corporate procedures to isolate
french fry oil from the oil used for breaded products.

As I've mentioned my prior emails, it is always good to check with your
local unit to be sure that they are following national guidelines, and that
none of their fryers are broken (causing them to combine french fries and
onion rings, for example).

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles