From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:28:35 -0400

I just got home from the ER. My asthma got the best of me and my doc said head to the hospital.
My question is: does anyone know a gf brand of prednisone type pillt hat I can tell my doctor about?

The first thing they tried to do was give me a prednisone pill. The pharmacy could not say if it was gf or not, so I declined it. Ultimately, after a breathing treatment and ax-ray, they didn't know what else to do. I told them that a shot would not be problematic, so that's what I got. But the doctor there had planned to prescribe steroid pills for a week and then have me come back for tests again. But I couldn't tell them which one would be gluten-free...even though we had my www.glutenfreedrugs.com list and Stokes Pharmacy book with us.

(Don't flame me for daring to use steroids. I'm not an abuser. I don't do holistic health things. And my doctor might give me one shot every year or two, since I developed asthma over 5 years ago. I know the dangers. I also know that when my Proventil HFA doesn't work, I need something else.)

Please don't recommend Advair or Asmanex, which even this doctor said would be the next round of treatment.  I have side effects from those. Besides, I'm looking for the temporary anti-inflammatory pill, not the long range inhalers. That'll be another search.

Sooo...the bottom line here is don't get sick after business hours  (when pharmaceutical companies are closed and you can't call them) and make sure you second guess what type of meds you'll need and do the research first. Just kidding. I'm being sarcastic.

The extent of my conversation with the nurse....while I was refusing to take the pill...is that she recently entertained her boyfriend's friend....who had celiac. And golly gee, she cooked such a great chili, but it turned out to have gluten in the mix, so he couldn't eat it. She said she didn't realize how many things it gets into. Duh!

Lin