Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:53:20 -0500

Thanks to all who wrote. Wonderful restaurants (many with Web sites, many with
gluten-free menus) were suggested. We're looking forward to our trip a lot now,
thanks to you. Here's the summary:
-------------------------------------
Firefly, a mid-priced restaurant in the Dupont Circle neighborhood provides a
gluten free menu if you ask in advance. http://www.firefly-dc.com/index.html

Legal Seafoods in several locations in the DC including 7th street near
Chinatown and the MCI Center area has a gluten free menu online. They have an
extensive gluten-free menu, and even offer g-f bread crumbs and g-f croutons in
the salad:
http://www.legalseafoods.com/index.cfm/pk/content/cd/location/pid/0/cdid/11803/page/7Th%20Street,%20DC-Washington

Austin Grill, a funky Tex Mex collection of restaurants in the DC area including
a cute location in Old Town Alexandria off the blue line King Street metro stop,
has its gluten free menu online at:
http://www.austingrill.com/austingrillee/index.php?/austin_grill_location/

A general listing of DC restaurants including telephone numbers is on the
website of the Washingtonian Magazine:
http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/default.asp

Shanghai Garden. The chef, Rai Shao, will cater to any food allergy and makes
the BEST gluten-free Chinese food I've ever had. He keeps a variety of gluten-
free soy sauces in stock and will make almost anything on their menu
without gluten. It is located at 4469 Connecticut Ave, NW and the
phone number is 202-362-3000.

If you like Mexican food, Alero is one of the best in Washington.
Another great Mexican option is Lorial Plaza, but it is a little bit
more expensive. For a really nice Italian meal I would recommend
Maggianos.

My son and I (both celiac) were in the DC area in November. We had a very good
meal at the McCormick and Schmick's in Crystal City (near Reagan Airport) and
better yet, we had GF ice cream cones at The Dairy GodMother in Alexandria!
http://www.thedairygodmother.com/ The owner of the ice cream is very
knowledgeable about the GF diet, and most of the ice cream is GF as well.

There is a Whole Foods in Alexandria with the full range of GF products, and a
Trader Joe's store there, too.

At the American History Museum of the Smithsonian we had a great GF lunch from
the carvery - we lucked into a very informed chef and had BBQ meat (brisket,
maybe?) sweet potatoes and corn. In general, the Smithsonian museums are fine
with bringing in outside food.

Near the National Zoo we had a GF lunch in an Indian restaurant right across
the street from the Metro station, I think it was called Little India.

For a very nice evening out, our favorite plce is Restaurant Nora near Dupont
Circle. You will need a reservation, and it is somewhat expensive.  They do not
have a gf menu, but their food is organic, and the wait staff is very
knowledgable about the food and able to help you order safely.  It is a
beautiful little place with fabulous food!

there is also a huge Whole Foods supermarket on P Street near the intersection
of P Street and 14th Street NW. Good variety of gluten free foods and gluten
free brands including baked gluten free bakery products:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/list_DC.html

We had great meals at Rosa Mexicana near the Spy museum.  It is a couple
blocks away on the corner.  Food is great and they did wonderful GF  It is a
bit pricey but we ate lunch there twice.

Amy