From:
Charles Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:45:51 -0400

After Alyce Perry's question about getting diagnosed I decided to tell my story.
In 1966 I came back from the Vietnam Conflict with infectious hepatitis.  In
1971 I was diagnosed with T-1 Diabetes and got medically retired at age 32.
In 1992 after being broken out so bad with DH I finally got diagnosed by going
to a well known dermatologist. I told him I was on a whole wheat diet because
of the diabetes.  He approved but said I would have to take dapsone for the
rest of my life.  It helped a little at first but after 4 years I could hardly sit
and kept taking more dapsone.  That caused my biliruben to be elevated again.
Dapsone is a dangerous drug. Finally in 1996 there was an article in Diabetes
Forecast entitled *Wheat is Your Problem.* by Jean Guest. I went g/f
immediately immediately & went to see a GI doctor.  A young doctor my family
doctor recommended. CD was still a rare disease but the doctor surmised that
I had it and I did the endoscopy after failing the blood test after they did it
twice.
It took three years on a strict g/f diet to quit breaking out completely. This GI
doctor in Charleston, SC made a speech at our support group meeting and
said he had trained many or most of the GI doctors in Charleston.  I eventually
had him do my third endoscopy plus my second colonoscopy. He said, "your
villi are standing tall, no problems at all."
I asked why it was that drinking Budwiser beer or gluten that I had ingested
accidentally didn't bother me at all.
He said, " You claim you had DH but there is no evidence of any anti bodies in
your system nothing that would indicate that you have any digestive problem
at all."
I was totally shocked and called my wife to tell her the good news. She said
"This doctor is a quack. Don't you remember how broken out you were? You
had to sit on a thick cushion." Even your head and neck had these blisters on
them?" Your flatunce was so bad I couldn't stand the smell.
This was just about two years ago and I have remained g/f other than still
drinking Budweiser.
This is a time when I would like to see someone like Dr. Joseph Murray whom
Jean Guest works for.
Would anyone here do a gluten challenge? I get along great on a g/f diet & it's
nice not to be sensitive to anything.
I almost forgot to mention that I just got a Minimed insulin pump after doing 5
injestions a day. It is fantastic and I should have done it many years ago.
Charlie in SC