Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:33:54 -0700

I got lots of responses & lots of requests to publish any recipes I
recieved, so recipes are included.  What timing!  All the wonderful
recipes came just in time for the pie crust summary earlier this week.
Thanks everyone!  [As usual, my remarks in brackets.] This is an
interesting collection of recipes.  Many of them are unique and they ALL
sound absolutely wonderful.  I especially like the sound of Donna's
"lazy" apple pie recipe that's prepared like a pecan pie.  Can't wait to
try all these.  I'm sure it will keep me busy all winter!  ~Valerie in
Tacoma
--------
My first try at a gluten-free pie crust was 2 days before thanksgiving
and a disaster.  So, I improvised and used the pie filling recipe, put it
in a casserole and then topped it with cinnamon crumbs from a GF coffee
cake
recipe.  It was delicious and a big hit with my guests. Francie Kelley,
Austin, TX
-------
Sliced apples are fabulous when sauteed in with red cabbage.  Add some
cinnamon, salt to taste.  Cook untill cabbage and apples are soft.  I
believe this is an old Amish cabbage recipe.
--------
Don't forget that apples taste very good in salads.  I have also put them
in meatloaf as a substitute for onions and I thought the result was
pretty tasty. Jackie in AZ
-------
[Apple salads with mayonnaise dressing that I often make:  (1) chopped
apples, pecans, celery, raisins (2) Add chopped apples to cole slaw and
(2)grated carrot, raisin & chopped apple salad.  Also, I once had a yummy
salad at a restaurant that had red onions, apples, salad greens w/ oil &
vinegar dressing.]
------
Gold old-fashioned applesauce is great and simple. Just boil with
cinnamon. Yummmmmmm.  Deb
        [This is my favorite way to do apple sauce.  Core apples then thinly
slice apples in food processor.  Simmer in pan til soft.  Season with
cinnamon & a little honey.  Serve warm, cold or freeze for later.  (I
like this way because it's so fast.  No need to peel them because if they
are thinly sliced the peelings add a nice texture & beneficial fiber w/o
being abnoxious.]
-------
One of the things I love to do with apples is freeze them cut up and then
make fried apples during the winter.  They are wonderful fried in a
little butter with cinnamon and sugar added.  Enjoy!    Nancy
--------
why not slice them up and cook very slowly in a very heavy pot.  Add
cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to taste along with a bit of
honey....voila...apple butter  [I did this yesterday & it was wonderful!]
-------
Cranberry-Apple Pie (Based on a Shaker recipe)
        Ingredients:
Pie Crust for a 2-crust pie (top & bottom)
2 cups fresh cranberries
4 large tart baking apples, pared, cored, and quartered (~ ½ lb.)
1 cup sugar   (Note:  The Shakers often used maple sugar instead of
granulated white sugar)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
Milk or cream
        Directions:
1.  Make and chill pastry for a 2-crust, 9-inch pie.  Preheat oven to
450ºF.
2.  Line pie plate with bottom crust; fill with apple quarters.
3.  In medium bowl, toss cranberries with sugar and maple syrup; mash
cranberries lightly with fork.  Pour over apples. Dot filling with
butter.
4.  Place remaining crust over filling, first making slits for steam
vents. (My mother always placed the top crust on first, then poked lots
of holes in it with a fork.  I still do it that way.  pas)  Moisten edge
of bottom crust
lightly with water; fold top crust edge under lower crust, pressing
firmly to seal.  Crimp edges.

5.  Brush top crust (not edge) lightly with milk or cream.  (This makes
the top shine; it looks very pretty this way. pas)  Bake 15 minutes @
450ºF; reduce oven temperature to 375ºF; continue to bake for 30 minutes
longer.

6.  Let cool slightly on wire rack.  Nice served warm with ice cream.
(I'd advise sticking to vanilla ice cream; anything else is too much with
the already complex flavors of the apple-cranberry mixture.  pas)
        Pat S. in Boston, MA
-------------------
Apple dumplings with brown sugar sauce From Baxter's Echo Hill Orchards,
Monson. Margaret Baxter recommends placing each dumpling in a small,
disposable foil container (available in most supermarkets) to prevent the
brown sugar sauce from burning while the apples bake.

For the dumplings:
Mare a single recipe of Rebecca Reilly's Flaky crust from her book:
Gluten-free Baking

For the sauce:
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
Pinch ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Make the dough, using food processor.

Roll out the dough into a 1/8-inch-thick rectangle, approximately 18 by
12 inches. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 6 equal squares (each
approximately 6 by 6 inches). Prick each square in several places with a
fork, to allow steam to escape, and place over the top of each apple
(smooth over the stem area). Pinch the four corners together under each
apple's bottom and place each in a small foil container. Bake for 10
minutes;
prepare the sauce.
        To make the sauce, combine the dark brown sugar, water, and cinnamon in
a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
When the apples have baked for 10 minutes, brush each one with 1
tablespoon of the sauce. Continue baking for 10 to 15 more minutes, or
until the pastry is golden. Place each apple on a dessert plate and
drizzle with the remaining sauce. Serves 6.
Apple Crisp
        Filling:
6 cups peeled sliced apples ( 4-5)
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
dash of salt
1 cup sugar
1 tbl lemon juice
        Topping:
1 cup GF flour mix
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tbl butter (3/4 stick)

Peel and slice apples into large bowl. Tumble with spices, salt, sugar
and lemon juice. Pour into 9x13 baking pan. In a smaller bowl place flour
and brown sugar. Cut in butter until it feels like cornmeal. Crumble this

topping over apples. Bake uncovered in a preheated 350` oven for one
hour.  Makes 10-12 servings.
Lazy Day Cobbler (This is REALLY good, I've made this one often with
apples, or peaches or whatever fruit you might have)
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup gluten free baking mix
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
2 cups unsweetened fruit
sugar
        Place stick of butter in 2" deep dish and place in oven to melt. Mix
together sugar, baking mix, salt, baking powder and milk. Pour over
butter - do not stir. Empty fruit on top and sprinkle
with sugar. Bake 350` for 50 - 60 minutes.
--------------------
Peel and core about 8 -10 apples. Pour in 1 can of frozen apple juice
(thawed) (you could also used bottled), lemon juice to taste and cinnamon
to taste. Boil until apples are soft and tender. Mash them with a potoato

masher (if you like chunky mash until desired chunks) Or cook until
totally smooth.
        This is freezable and then I use it for the apple bread recipe in Roben
Ryberg's cookbook..
Sue, North Canton, Ohio
----------
Have you tried dehydrating apples? Wal-mart has a dehydrator for 39.96.
It works good!  --Gladys Ward
[You're right, it does work very well.  I did this & they turned out
really good.  Great snack.]
----------
Hi  - you can do this in biulk in a crock pot/slow cooker, or one at a
time (works in oven or microwave):
Core some apples. Stand them up in the pot/pan. Sprinkle Cinnamon +/-
brown sugar, also raisins  on the top and inside the cores. Pour on some
cider/red wine/apple juice/orange juice (I have used all of them; cider
is my favorite for breakfast, red wine for Sunday afternoons) nuke for 2
minutes, or bake at about 350 for 20 mins, or crock pot on low for at
least 45 mins (these are my settings, use as a guide only)
 YUM!
I have made them for breakfast, Sunday afternoon snacks, desserts (with
or without ice cream) and always gotten raves. I also sometimes slice
apples, saute briefly in a  little butter or margarine,  then sprinkle
(in the saute pan) with cinnamon sugar  -mix until coated and the apples
just start to soften. Yummy dessert, also good with ice cream (note the
theme..) enjoy!  Marne GF since 1997
------------
We like apple pizza.
1 pizza crust (chebe works too)
apple jelly
 apples
cinnamon sugar
        Roll out pizza crust.  Spread with apple jelly.  Place apple slices on
top
and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Bake till crust is brown and apples
soft.
If you want, crizzle with confectionary sugar glaze.  Clare MA

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!