From:
Deni Hansen-Gray Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:44:05 -0600

>I have received a letter from The Wine Group stating that all Corbett
>Canyon wines are GF...
>
>Contact info:
>
>The Wine Group, Inc.
>17000 E. Hwy 120
>P.O. Box 897
>Ripon, California 95366-0897
>
>209-599-4111
>

>Chuck Brandt (Delaware, USA)

I contacted Corbett Canyon about 6 weeks ago.  The person answering the
phone had never heard of gluten.  I was finally connected to a knowledgable
chemist whose answers were non-committal but not evasive.  I was eventually
informed that all wine made at the Corbett Canyon facility in 1998 was made
using Red Star yeast, but that the information was not available for
previous years.  Red Star yeast is reputed to be gluten free.

I sensed a reluctance to openly deal with the possibility of gluten in the
wine.  After carefully explaining that my wife's reaction to trace amounts
of gluten is anaphalactic shock and that the presence of gluten could
therefore literally be a life and death issue, I was FINALLY advised that
only a portion of the wine sold under the Corbett Canyon label is actually
produced in their own facility from their own grapes.  The rest is blended
from "commodity" wines bought in bulk on the open market from other
processors, and the GF status of the bulk wine is unknown.

We made a personal decision not to take the gamble.

Your mileage may vary.

Steve Weber

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read"
-- Groucho Marx