From:
Walt and Carolyn Reardon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:43:49 -0600

Dear List,

I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease for about 10 months and on the
gluten free diet since then. My allergies were extremely bad this fall and I
had also noticed that I was having slight trouble with some other foods
after I went GF.  My doctor decided that he needed a new RAST (this is a
blood test for allergies to various things, I don't know what the initials
stand for) test on me.  I did come back with a few food allergies and he
instructed me on the rotation diet.    I tested off the charts for grasses
and trees.  Worse than I had 10 years ago.  10 years ago they had tried me
on allergy shots which did not work because I kept having reactions at the
injection site.  My doctor said that because of those reactions he wants to
put me on an oral allergy serum.  He explained that it is in a glycerin base
that is dropped on the floor of the mouth and absorbed through the floor of
the mouth.  I ask about it ever reaching my intestines because of the celiac
and causing me problems.  He said that he didn't think it would but that he
will check around the country with other doctors to see if any of them have
treated other celiac this way and what problems if any were encountered.
Now for my question...Are there any of you out there that have had the oral
allergy serum along with your celiac disease and how did you react to it as
far as celiac symptoms(symptoms that you had with your body that can be
attributed to celiac and not some other disease)?  If you have any doctor's
names that have treated you with this or any references that are
specifically speaking to this problem I would really appreciate hearing
about them.  We are to make a decision near the end of this week so that I
can get started as soon as possible, but without endangering my health.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carolyn Reardon
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]