Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:43:52 -0500

Most of this is in addition to what has been posted to the list.

BTW for those in the Baltimore area the local kosher grocery store Seven
Mile Market had a fire last week and will be closed until
Thursday/tomorrow. Besides only giving us 2 weeks to shop for Passover
(and the poor employees 2 weeks to deal with the hordes of customers)
this means I have not been able to check out alot of items to verify
what is what.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA

WARNING!!
First I'll give you the only ingredients celiacs have to avoid. The
following was originally posted by Linda Goldkrantz. The following KFP
ingredients ARE GLUTEN, So DO NOT EAT any Kosher For Passover (KFP)
product that lists the following ingredients:

 DO NOT EAT.
 Matzah is made as a whole piece, using a specific recipe.
 Tiny chunks of matzah are called matzah farfel or fahfal.
 Ground up matzah is matzah meal.
 Ground up even further it's cake meal or Passover flour.
 They all start out as wheat and water. Avoid them all!

If you do not know how to read the kosher symbols just ask someone for
passover section of the store. Most products will have the phrase
"Kosher for Passover" in English although sometimes it is only in
Hebrew. The kosher symbols mainly used in the United States are OU,
Circle-K, plus others place a capital P beside their symbol to indicate
the item is Kosher for Passover plus they may also include the phrase
"Kosher for Passover" on the label.

Do check each item you buy to ensure it is actually KFP and not just a
year round product. Things can get mixed up and this is a constant
problem with some companies making different labels but others having
only subtle differences.

Another phrase that will tell you the item is gluten (and Matzah) free
is "non-gebrucks". This basically means it does not include matzah and
seems to mainly be included on the label of products that usually would
contain matzah.

If you live somewhere with a small Jewish community alot of the items
that are gluten free may not show up at the local stores that are
selling KFP products. Also remember that these items will show up and
then disappear very quickly. Generally KFP items are a one time/short
time item. Although I am finding more items available year round that
are KFP (Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, some coffee and some sugar are
examples that I can think of off the top of my head).

1) This year I don't know of any mail order source for kosher products,
however there are places that will ship. Even my local butcher does ship
products around the country (btw he makes his own deli which is gf year
round and for passover is also soy & corn free, plus since he is from
Europe he makes types that we don't normally find in this country). It
is also possible to find gf products in locations you wouldn't expect.
In addition to the list of sources for oat matzah there are stores in
Houston, Denver, Salt Lake City, Seattle, San Diego, Phoenix, Atlanta,
Dallas/Fort Worth, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte NC, Los
Vegas, Cherry Hill NJ, Vancouver BC, Montreal, Toronto, etc. In fact
some of these products are also exported to places like Australia
(which I understand is expensive!!), UK, Belgium, France, Israel, etc.

2) Shick's Bakery does accept mail order and they have 54 items that are
gf. They will start to accept orders next week (March 22 2004), which
means you only have about 1 1/2 weeks to place an order. Check out their
website for a list of their items. http://www.schicksbakery.com/
718-436-8020. The only item that is NOT gf are the 2 honey cakes.
Everything else is ok, including 2 new ones that weren't put on the gf
list--pasnicht pizza and coffee layer cake. Although there have been
rumors they bake gf during the rest of the year I have been told by the
owners that the only time they will be baking gf is for their booth at
the KosherFest food show which is the end of October 2004. So if you are
needing items in the fall contact them and see when they would be
willing to ship from the limited selection that they bake for the food
show.

3) Gefilta fish--A & B gefilta fish is gf for Passover. They do mail
order year round but have a larger selection for passover . 866-GEFILTE
(433-4583) x104 http://www.gefiltafish.com  According to an ad I have
from last fall they have a carb free (made with Splenda), salmon,
Hungarian style, sugar free, sweet, less sugar, pike & white, low
cholesterol, wheat free--HOWEVER according to their website they only
have the salmon, sugar free, low sugar & sweet. I left a message to try
to verify what they actually do make for Passover but haven't gotten a
return call and wanted to get this email out. When I have a response I
will update with the information.  Other brands of gefilta fish are
available for passover that will be gf. Most are NOT gf year round
(during the year the only A & B gefilta fish that is gf is the one
labeled wheat free, the rest are NOT gf even when they don't list wheat
as an ingredient). The only frozen gefilta fish I currently know of that
are gf year round is Schindler's, the new ones from Dr. Praeger's and
the A & B wheat free loaf. The only brand of gf jarred gefilta fish that
I have seen during the year is from Benz's (spelling??) but others
should be available during passover.

4) Dr. Praeger has introduced 9 new items that will be kosher for
Passover (3 fish items--potato crusted fish fillets, fillet fish sticks,
and fishies which is shaped like a fish; 3 types of pancakes--spinach,
potato and broccoli; and 3 types of gefilta fish--regular, salmon & no
sugar. These are all frozen). HOWEVER these items will be also produced
during the rest of the year (some of them are similar to their gluten
items so verify you have the gf ones!! At this time I don't know how
different the packaging will be between the gf and gluten items). I have
seen this brand in health food stores so it may be worth seeing if your
local store will carry these items. BTW you should let them know if you
like their gf items since the only ingredient that makes most of their
products (which include a large selection of vegetarian burgers) is a
small amount of oat bran. I suggested they may want to look at using
rice bran instead of the oats which is also heart healthy and would make
more of their products gf.

5) Lieber's has cake mixes under the Creamy & Simple--a coffee cake
(which is a white cake with a packet of coconut for the topping, this
doesn't store for a whole year as I have just learned and so I would
only buy it for use in the next 3-6 months, although freezing the mix
may help plus I would make my own topping.), chocolate brownie (this is
more like a rich chocolate cake and I found it excellent and it did keep
well). They also make a dried icing mix which produces an icing that is
similar to melting chocolate chips on top of a hot cake. I don't know if
they have any new items this year. In my opinion these are the best of
the cake mixes that are made for Passover, Lieber's does make other gf
mixes but they make a drier cake plus be careful they make alot of mixes
with matzah meal (I think they use the phrase passover flour). For the
chocolate cake use 4 large eggs for the 3 extra large, do NOT use dried
eggs--my personal experience is that it doesn't work, also make sure you
don't over bake the cake.