From:
Sue Jeno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:39:57 -0500

Thanks to those who responded to my request for information.  I have
summarized
the responses below.  My daughter is off on her trip and I hope that food is
not an issue!  My comments are in [ ].  I'll update the list when she returns
on how the trip went.

Thanks again,
Sue

Go to http://www.keliakia.org/view/categories.asp?document_id=271
for coeliac translation cards in many languages. ( Germany is called
Saska. ) Might be useful.  [This is a Finnish site but very helpful to get the
translations I needed to send to Europe]

Go to www.schaer.com for full information about this Italian company's
wheat and gluten free products which are exported throughout Europe -
although I'm not sure about the UK. Full desription of the products is given
in English  [and also information where the products are available]

In the UK Tesco and Sainsbury Supermarkets have whole isles of GF/WF
food, much easier to find than in the USA! Also, just let the hotel
know that you are a Celiac and they will accommodate you. Everyone in
the UK is familiar with this dietary need.  [also suggested that if possible,
stock up and ship the products back to the states]

You might go to http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/groups/groupsus.html for
some
help. I believe there is an International section there also. If you need
additional help, contact the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) at
They have another listing from an International Group.

There are gluten free sections in the Albert Hein supermarket chain in
Holland

website for the youth coeliac society this is a europen society so it should
have some information if not contacts. it is www.AOECS.de.vu [this is a fun
site
to explore, especially for younger celiacs]

I have a book with some addresses in England, which I will copy for you
here:
The Coeliac Society
P.O. Box 200
High Wycombe
Bucks
HP11 2HY

Gluten Free Foods Ltd
Unit 10, Honeypot Business Park
Parr Road
Stanmore
Middlesex
HA7 1NL

Doves Farm Foods
Hungerford
Berkshire
RG17 0RF

The author of the book, (Peter Thomson, "Gluten-free Cookery", Printed in
London by Hodder & Stoughton Educational, copyright 1995, 2001) says that
gluten-free flours, etc, are available in supermarkets, so I would imagine
other GF foods are, too.

the New Zealand Coeliac Society website had a searchable manufactured
foods database listing many gf foods available there, along with travel tips
and where to shop and eat out.

a website I just found with lots of worldwide celiac societies:
http://www.acelbra.org.br/english/links.htm

Gluten is the same in French - "gluten" but pronounced differently.

Restaurant cards are available in "Against the Grain" by Jax Peters Lowell