From:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chara Armon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:06:40 -0400

Oh my, I AM grain free too.  In fact, I've about given up on everything
except good old veggies. I tell people I do not eat wheat, oats, barley,
rye, corn, soy, dairy, sugar, additives, preservatives, most nuts, most
fruits (fructose intolerant also), chocolate, caffeine, meats, eggs. I might
eat a little - but  very little meat - unless it's pastured beef, wild
turkeys shot by my husband, or free range farm chickens and eggs - and only
a little. I just do so much better with less carbs and animal protein
anyway, though not overweight by any means. I do a liquid fast 1-2 days a
week, juice my organic carrots, cukes, celery, and drink plenty of balanced
water. I am just trying to stay alive in the healthiest condition possible
and it's a constant struggle. I had 40 years of gluten damage, so I am not
working with a good immune system - it's basically all autoimmune now so I
really have to keep down the bacteria/virus/parasite/ameba levels with many
natural homeopathic and alternative methods. But I do what I have to do. And
so far, it's paying off. I also work with celiac/gluten sensitive/food
intolerant people as a health coach too, since I know it first hand. I bake
and fix gf meals for people and also I have developed a grain free bread I
make for other people but again, I don't eat much of it myself. And to make
matters worse, I still consider myself a "carbohydrate addict" from years
ago. I still crave breads and sweets at times but just try to stay busy with
other things.

   So you are not the only one out there. I have found lots of people who
cannot tolerate rice especially. In fact, all grains have "gluten" in them,
but the ones studies the most - wheat, barley, rye - are the main ones that
there is data on. However, corn is another one that many people have trouble
with.

   I could go on and on, but the info is out there. Go to
www.glutensensitivity.net for a lot of "non-celiac" information.

I am not grain-free, yet, still eating some GF bread, but I'm thinking of
going that route.

I'm not sure it's grain, I'm not getting allergic-type reactions, but I find
when I eat a whole piece of bread I get bloated, uncomfortable and feel
sluggish, so I guess it COULD be grains. I also get bloated eating too much
starch of any kind, like potatoes or sweet potatoes or sugar of any kind
except for honey, but it's worse with anything rice or corn-based.

I don't know, for me, whether paleo (grain and legume avoidance) or Specific
Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) is the way to go. I think I'll try to avoid corn and
rice and see if that makes me able to tolerate potatoes.

The SCD, though, raises a lot of good points about cutting out sugar and
starch saying if you have some bad bacterial overgrowth, eating these things
will make it much worse, giving it lots of fuel to feed on. It's also been
shown to be very common to celiac patients.

Yes, I stay away from grains.  Oats are certainly a problem for some people
with CD.  I used to react to brown rice but avoided it for a while and that
improved.  And then there's the low level of cross contamination with gluten
which always seems to be in flour products.

You are not alone.

Yes, I am grain free.  You might like the forum "Gluten Free and Beyond"
there are a few of us on there that are grain free.

Here is a link to the forum
http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/index.php

I have not researched the subject too much but I do know that all grains
have gluten. Just from experience I do best on a grain free diet. I do okay
with potatoes so I do not cut out potatoes but if I discipline myself I try
and eat mostly vegies, meat, and some fruit. I think the Paleo diet is a
good one and I feel great when I am following it.

I do not get wheezing but I feel tired more when I have too many grains and
sugars and I get more achey joints with grains and nuts. It is not a "fun"
diet to follow and I admit I cheat with a cookie or sandwich sometimes...
but then I get back on track! :)

I just thought I would let you know that there are those of us out there who
are doing just what you asked about and feeling positive effects!

You can look into Paleo diet resources.  Paleo is gluten and grain free, as
well as low dairy and no processed food.  Some people get a little religious
about it, but there are several good paleo blogs and cookbooks that would be
great resources for eating grain free.  I don't eat fully paleo, but I lean
a little that way.  A few websites to get you started are:

http://robbwolf.com/category/recipes/

http://everydaypaleo.com/

Sure, it is called the paleo diet and is the hot diet these days among
athletes that are trying to maximize their performance. I have a bunch of
pages on it. Like http://paleodiet.com and http://paleofood.com.

Or start with my definition: http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm

I am mostly grain-free as well as gluten free.  I don't do well on any of
the grains. I can't do oats, buckwheat, sorghum, etc.  The only corn I can
do is organic, and I only eat that once in a while.  (In processed food, if
the corn is not organic, it's almost always genetically modified.  That's
the only reason I can think of that I can handle the organic). I can get
away with rice once in a while, and that's about it.

I've been grain free for a few months now after noticing I got sick after
eating them. I mainly get by on quinoa. I eat a little potato and corn on
occasion, but definitely stay away from rice and oats (in addition to all
the gluten containing foods)

I'm not sure if there's more to the story, but for me, I was diagnosed with
MALS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_arcuate_ligament_syndrome>  as
well. I assume the pressure from the extra room grains take up from a full
stomach may have made increased the pressure as well. In any case, just one
more idea to consider for why you might be having a hard time with grains.

In any case, my rule is, if it hurts, just avoid it!