From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 1995 08:18:44 EDT

Barbara Jean Kuehl wrote:

> There should be no problem with wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar or
> any other vinegar provided it is NOT made from (or diluted with) grain
> based vinegar which is more commonly known as white or distilled
> vinegar.

Some of the list members feel that grain-distilled vinegar is GF, or at
least "GF enough" to be safe for celiacs.  I respect that opinion.  For
those who feel grain-distilled vinegar is not safe, I have some further
information.

White or distilled vinegar does not always come from a gluten grain;
sometimes the source can be corn.  There is at least one major
manufacturer that claims to make a GF distilled white vinegar:  Heinz.

In a letter last revised 2/95, which we received on June 24, 1995,
Heinz lists three GF vinegars:

   Heinz Distilled White Vinegar
   Heinz Wine Vinegar
   Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar

The letter also listed other GF Heinz products.  But how careful are
they?  The following paragraph was at the bottom of their letter:

   "NOTE:  This is not a comprehensive list.  As we receive
   confirmation from our suppliers on whether flavorings, spices
   and coloring sources in our products are gluten-free, we will
   add products to this list."

If they are checking with suppliers about colorings and flavorings,
I'd say they are being very careful.  I'll also add that we've been
using Heinz distilled white vinegar for years.

This information refers to Heinz products sold in the USA.  The
letter was not signed.

Contact Information:
   Heinz U.S.A.
   Consumer Affairs