Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:26:02 EST

HI Listmates

I would really appreciate your help.  I was biopsy diagnosed with celiac 22
months ago.

I have severe symptoms sometimes. I THINK they are attributable to a soy
allergy and not just gluten.  They are so awful that I am meticulously
careful to avoid foods with soy in them as well as foods that are not GF.
This means eliminating MANY GF foods.

My problem is that after I eat a (SOY??) contaminated food, I quickly become
very nauseated, get a headache & then soon begin vomiting.  The vomiting
lasts over an hour--sometimes several hours & is quite VIOLENT.  My whole
body spasms & trembles. My esophagus & throat hurt terribly & I become
extremely cold -- beyond anything I ever experience in a normal COLD
situation.  It is very frightening. In addition I get stomach cramps & out of
control diarrhea.

If I only accidentally consume gluten (& not soy), I do not get the vomiting,
or cold.  The headache, cramping & diarrhea reaction may not appear for many
hours.

If I consume ANY TYPE of vinegar (salad dressings, sauces, etc.), I react
exactly as if I had ingested gluten.

My questions about all of this were precipitated today by the e-mail re:
MI-DEL GF Arrowroot Cookies.  When I discovered them, I was delighted,
but I had hours of vomiting after I tried them.  That is when I began to
suspect a problem with soy, ESPECIALLY SOY FLOUR.  Now that I have read
that these cookies may not be GF, I am wondering about the possibility
that I may have various types of Gluten reactions & that soy flour is
not the issue. ...Wouldn't that be nice??

Any insights or similar experiences that any of you may have would be very
much appreciated.

Thank you all for ALL of your help throughout the last year.  This List is a
BLESSING! :)

Kathy C