From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:30:07 -0600

Hi Listmates,

I received several recommendations for GFCF Turkeys.  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.  My friend as well as the many listmembers who asked for a summary will be very grateful.

The information is as follows:

From [log in to unmask] " look for a label that says "Minimally processed, nothing added."
Usually those are the really inexpensive ones that supermarkets use to compete for your Thanksgiving business.

The USDA regs are pretty clear that additives, including milk protein, would have to be labeled.  http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/flavorings.htm "

From [log in to unmask] regarding Honeysuckle White Turkeys "Because I have allergies to eggs, milk, soy and CD I asked them if their whole turkeys were free of these ingredients. They stated that they do not
inject the turkeys with any ingredients. However, that the gravy packet (if included) should be avoided. I have purchased their turkeys for several years now and have been really happy."

From [log in to unmask] "My son is GFCF. I don't think any turkeys have casein in them, unless they add some kind of gravy mixture or creamy broth to it. I think most turkeys are GF and CF."

From [log in to unmask] "What your friend needs to find is a "natural" bird that has *nothing*
added. In California, we get Shelton Farms and Diestel Ranch turkeys that are simply plucked, gutted and washed with water. You don't find these birds at Krogers or Safeway - you need to go either a specialty butcher, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, or the "gourmet" supermarkets. (In St. Louis, Schnucks and Dierdorffs? qualify)

If nothing is added to the bird, and it is cleaned with plain water on a separate line, it is by definition GF/CF. Rather than calling the individual companies (which can be a pain in the neck), she should talk to the butcher at one of the aforementioned venues - they can get the answers more easily than she can - and they also know how birds are processed - which could avoid the problem entirely..."

From [log in to unmask] "All fresh turkeys would be- any turkey without injections should be fine and they taste better in my opinion"

From [log in to unmask]  "Eberly Free Range Organic Poultry, packed a couple of miles from me in
Lancaster County, Pa. has nothing it but the bird.  It is sold in Shoprite, Whole Foods Markets (here in the east) and some other places."

From [log in to unmask]  "Tell her to get an Kosher Empire turkey, gluten and casein free.  Good Luck"

From [log in to unmask] "My suggestion is to buy an all natural turkey and stay away from the big
brands. The term minimally processed works well as nothing is added to the bird."

Between information received from listmembers and contact with turkey manufacturers, my friend was able to determine that three mainstream turkeys are GFCF.  She either received confirmation by email or phone that Jennie O, Butterball, and Honeysuckle White turkeys are GFCF.  Please do not use the gravy packets if they are provided and do not purchase prestuffed turkeys if they are offered.  (I only mention this because some people in my support group thought that they could stuff their turkey with regular non-GF stuffing and then just eat the turkey with no problems.  This is NOT SAFE!)

Have a Happy GF Thanksgiving!

Barbara in Missouri

Disclaimer ---  I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.