From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:50:21 -0500

Good morning all-

Are you tired to supermarket chains that can't and won't provide lists of gf
products?
Tired to drug companies that can't say their product is gf.
Food manufacturers that don't understand the needs of Celiacs and aren't
interested in having us as customers?

The CeliACTIONework list has been created to try to make change. In numbers
we can impress companies that we are a cohesive and large consumer market
that deserves attention.

I would like to invite list members to visit and join the CeliACTIONetwork
mailing list.
Below is the list's Welcome Message that explains it in more detail.

You may also send a message to [log in to unmask] to
subscribe.
Please contact me with any questions.
-Michael Thorn

 CeliACTIONetwork Welcome Message
The CeliACTIONetwork (Gluten & Wheat Intolerance) mailing List is a
membership, announcement-only list for those interested in celiac (coeliac)
disease and dermatitis herpetiformis who want to have a positive impact on
the food manufacturing and service industry.

Purpose of the list
The purpose of the list is to help create an awareness of the consumer base
for gluten-free products. Our target is both the manufacturers of food and
pharmaceutical products and those who serve them (i.e. restaurants).

This mission leads to a two-pronged approach. Both are equally important.
o       We want to praise and support companies that provide information
easily and reliably.
o       We want to diplomatically express our concerns to companies that
choose not to provide this information or those are less receptive to our
needs.

List membership
To join the list you must submit:
o       Submit a subscription request to
[log in to unmask], with one of the following to show
your interest in the List

q       A sample positive email/letter praising a company for their policies
related to their handling of productive information or practices related to
gluten/Celiac Disease.
q       A sample email/letter expressing concern for the way that a company
handles product information or practices related to gluten/Celiac Disease.

Write a letter
Points for letter/email writing
o       If possible send email and a postal message as well.
o       If possible always include a street address as well as email. This
gives more value to your correspondence and may allow local distributors,
restaurants, etc. to contact you with questions or support information. Many
companies will keep you posted on new product information and send coupons
for future purchases.
o       Be courteous but express the impact of their policies. Examples: If
they don't want to give out the information or refuse to say that product is
gluten-free you can share that you will no longer be able to purchase their
product for yourself and your family.
o       Avoid threatening language.
o       Do try to educate and enlighten with mention of the impact on
yourself and your family.
o       Please remove your home address and phone number from posts to the
List.

Send your letter to the company via email or postal and send a copy to

Submitting company letters/emails for the list members to join in the action
To submit a letter to the list, email it to
The letter must include:
o       The date of the correspondence.
o       An email and postal address if possible.
o       The name a contact person at the company whenever possible.

Responding to letters on the list
The purpose of the list is to try to make an impact on policies and create
change in the marketplace. Because of this you are encouraged to cc the list
owner when you send emails or write letters. The email address for copies is
[log in to unmask] the postal address is Michael
Thorn, PO Box 408, Shirley, NY 11967-0408. We will be able to send out
periodic statistics to let everyone know how out efforts are going.