Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:20:36 EST

Re my quest for information about the relationship between celiac and short
stature, I received about 20 replies, most of which expressed interest in
learning more. Several people suggested contacting Dr Korn or Dr Fasano. Some
said that James may just have constitutional growth delay, in which case
he'll have a growth spurt later than most.

Only one person has a child in the same boat as mine (diagnosed as having
normal GH, low IGF), although many respondents had children who were small
and slight, like James.  This person had a great observation: she said, "I
was on a field trip to a children's museum this past June and while checking
out an exhibit on human genes found it listed that celiac disease, thyroid
disorders and growth hormone factor deficiency were all located on the same
chromosome!"

I'm no scientist, but this strongly suggests to me that my son's problems (he
also has hypothyroidism) are chromosomal. So the problems are related, like
celiac and diabetes, but there's most likely not a cause and effect
relationship.

I will explore gh treatment with his doctor and won't make a decision for a
few months. Thanks for your help!

Holly
Media PA