From:
"Curtis,Dave [St. John's]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 11:49:22 -0330

The following is a summary of the results of my search for GF beer
recipes

Three notes:  1. There is inconsistent reporting from a wide variety of
sources as to the availability of commercial GF beers.   Some say yes
and even list brands but others state the exact opposite.   When it
comes to my ingestion of foods that are supposedly GF, I follow the
X-Files rule: "Trust No One"    (except yourself maybe).

2. Secondly, a number of the recipes I received do not use added yeast
for fermentation.   This means they must be relying on wild yeasts if
fermentation is to take place.   I would not recommend trusting wild
yeast to grow faster than bacteria, but that's just my opinion.

3. Most recipes involve your own malting of the 'included grain'

So, saving what I think is the best til last, here's what I found:

The "malting process" in beer manufacture involves sprouting 'barley' to
increase the natural sugar level in the grain, then stopping the process
by roasting the grain at the appropriate time (this is what is called
"malting"). After roasting, the grain is cracked/ground (depending on
the brew) and added to the fermentation vats, along with various and
sundry other ingredients including hops and yeast.

Recipes
From: Mike Snyder                             [log in to unmask]

I finally got the rice beer recipe.  She (my friend's friend) said she's
still perfecting it but this one works and it's not the tastiest beer
but it's beer.  She also said the molasses was mainly for color.

   3-21 oz cans/jars of rice syrup (be careful, some contain gluten)
   6 cups corn sugar (approx. 2 lbs)
   1 pint molasses
   2 oz Cascade hops (use whatever kind you like with AA% of 4 - 7)
   1 pkg Edme dry ale yeast

Bring 1-1/2 gallons of water to a boil.  Add all ingredients except 1 oz
of  hops.  Boil for 60 minutes. Add 1/2 oz of hops (for hop flavor) 45
minutes into the boil.  Add 1/2 oz of hops (for aroma) during the last 2
minutes of the boil.  Cool and add to cold water in primary to make 5
gallons.  Pitch yeast when 80 deg F or below. Ferment for 7 - 10 days
and bottle using 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Note: She couldn't remember the hop additions so I improvised.  If it
comes out  too sweet add more hops for 60 minutes; too bitter, add less.

Happy brewing,
From:         Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>

Tiswin (Corn Beer)

10 to 12  lbs of dried corn
 4 1/2 gal. of pure spring water
 5 sticks of canela
 8 piloncillo cones
 1 orange peel
 1 lemon peel

  Roast corn in a moderately heated oven until the corn is a light brown
color. Grind the corn (coarse) and place in a large heavy crock. Add all
the water, citrus peel, canela, and piloncillo. Cover and let the
mixture ferment. Fermentation will take about 8 to 9 days during cool
weather or 4 to 5 days in warm weather.  Strain through a cheesecloth,
call your closest friends, and drink right away.
- note: "The old Apache recipe calls for soaking corn and sprouting it
until the seedlings are 1/2 inch long, grinding the sprouts, and boiling
them. The resulting mash was then sweetened with mesquite flour or
saguaro syrup and allowed to ferment in a brewing jar that was never
washed so as to retain the organisms for fermentation. The finished
product had to be drunk within a few hours after it was prepared or the
alcohol became acetic acid, giving the beverage a sour taste."

Recipe research provided courtesy of Native Food List members
Linda Blanchard
Midland TX
From:         Don Wiss

Subject: RE: GINGER BEER

250g      grated ginger
4 litres  water
1.5 kg    sugar
1 tbsp    clove/lime juice    (helps with the fermentation)

NOTE: above was from a recipe book, my parents make their own as the
above as a guide and have altered theirs to the following:
Also, this is flat and not carbonated

3/4 lb      grated ginger
4   litres  water
1   lb      sugar
1   tbsp    rice  (uncooked)

mix all in a large container and let sit approx. 2 days (placing in the
sun helps). Strain. Enjoy!!!!
From:         Katriina Mdkinen <[log in to unmask]>

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, P.SHATTOCK wrote:

> Being a keen beer drinker myself I realize that there may be those on this
list for whom such delights are impossible and I wondered if there was
something that could be done about this sad situation.

According the Swedish Celiac Society the following beers are GF (They
were tested by the Swedish FDA and *didn't* even contain trace amounts
of gluten):

Class III
San Miguel (Spanish), Kronenbourg (French) Erdinger Weissbier and
Welhenstephan Hefe-Weissbier (German)

Class II
Foster's, Heineken, Budweiser, Urquell and Tuborg

GF Whisky: Ballantine, Passport Scoth, Bell's pld Scoth and Four Roses
bourbon.

GF Vodka: Vodka Wyborowa

/Katriina                   [log in to unmask]        "Living a wonderful GF life in
Stockholm, Sweden"
From: Judy C. Hettena Wright      [log in to unmask]

Sorry about the delay - here it is.  I have not tried the recipe yet,
and I will certainly try to obtain the dried jora, rather than sprouting
it myself, but just in case, I included all the steps.  If you make it,
please let me know how it turns out!  If you ever find a recipe for
sorghum beer, let me know!  Good luck & happy new year!

Peruvian corn beer-Chica de jora

1 pound dried corn kernels
8 allspice berries
8 quarts cold water
2 cups packed dark brown sugar

To make the jora, soak the kernels 2 or 3 days in cold water.  Rinse 2
or 3 kitchen towels in cold water and wring them out.   Lay the wet
towels on a baking tray and spread the drained kernels on top of them.
Cover with double layer of dampened cheesecloth (or more towels) and put
the tray in a dark place.   Spray the cheesecloth with water regularly
(keep it damp but not wet) for 8 to 10 days until the kernels sprout.
Put the sprouted kernels on a dry try and dry the kernels in a very low
oven or over a radiator for a day or two.  When they are thoroughly dry,
crush them in a food processor or with a rolling pin.

In a large stainless steel pot, combine the jora and the allspice, and
cover with 8 quarts of cold water.   Let them soak for an hour.  Bring
the pot to the boil over medium heat, lower the heat, and simmer for 4
to 5 hours, stirring occasionally.  If you have less then 4 quarts at
the end, add enough boiling water to make it up.  Let the pot sit for an
hour off the heat without stirring.

String the corn through a stainless-steel strainer lined with a double
layer of cheesecloth into a ceramic (porcelain or glass) container.
Twist the cloth to squeeze out all the corn juice.

Drop the sugar in.  DON'T STIR IT.  Cover the container with a dry cloth
and place it in a dark, warm and draft-free spot.  Let it ferment for
about a week, then chill it thoroughly.  The longer it sits unchilled,
the stronger it gets.  It should develop a thick foam on top as it
ferments.

Note:  Dried Jora is usually available through Inca's Foods and avoids
having to sprout the kernels oneself:  Peruvian Import  company, P.O.
Box 469, Mahway, NJ 07430 (201) 773-6705.

From: Carolyn Minor - [log in to unmask]

This is what the author of the recipe said "In my obsessive quest for a
good-tasting gluten-free beer this recipe is the best so far.  It ends
up tasting a little like Coors light, which is at least slightly better
than no beer at all.  This beer is still in the experimental stages, so
feel free to play with the amount of hops, etc or to add another GF
ingredients such as molasses or malted millet."

Ingredients for 5 gallons:

3 lbs. malted buckwheat (recipe follows)
l cup corn sugar
l oz. Saaz hops
2 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops
6 lbs. rice syrup
l pkg. ale yeast (EDME)

Put crushed malted buckwheat into strainer bag, add 1 1/2 gallons of
water in brewpot.  Keep buckwheat in brewpot stirring, until water
starts boiling.  Remove buckwheat and add rice syrup, corn sugar, and
1/2 oz. each of the Saaz and Hallertauer hops.  Boil for 30 minutes and
add 1/4 oz. each of the Saaz and Hallertauer hops.  Boil for l5 minutes
and add another =BC oz. of each type of hops.  Boil for another 15 min.
to make a total boiling time of 1 hour, then let the remaining 1 oz.
Hallertauer hops steep in the wort for two (2) minutes.  Strain into
your fermenter and pitch yeast when cooled.

This "beer"  will ferment for longer than most ales, for about l0 days.
Add 3/4 cup corn sugar for bottling, and let the beer age for at least 1
week before drinking.

Instructions for Malted Buckwheat:
Since as gluten-free homebrewers we can't just go to our homebrew supply
store and buy malted buckwheat or millet, we must malt it ourselves in
order to brew with it.  Luckily, this is a pretty simple process.
First, obtain raw (that is, uncooked and untoasted) buckwheat from a
health food store or coop.
Rinse about l lb. and let is sit for 30-48 hours completely submerged in
water, rinsing it off every 8 hours or so.  The buckwheat will expand as
it soaks up some of the water and also produce a sticky oily substance
which should be rinsed off.  Now put the buckwheat into a strainer or
find-mesh colander and let it sit in the open air in a cool, dark place,
rinsing off every 8 hours to prevent mold.  After 1 day you will see
rootlets forming.  Let the buckwheat sit in the open air for about 2
days, or until some of the rootlets are about twice as long as the grain
bodies.  Spread the buckwheat out in a thin layer on several cookie
sheets and bake in a 200-250 deg. oven until the buckwheat becomes hard
and crunchy (tastes remarkably like Grape-Nuts)  At this point you may
increase the temperature and make dark-roasted buckwheat, for
darker-colored beers.  Use a rolling pin or a glass jar to crush the
buckwheat.

All the above was copied as this guys recipe was posted.  I had a hard
time crushing the buckwheat with a rolling pin etc. - I put a little at
a time in my food blender - on crush(I think) and "ground" it up that
way.  As I said I had never brewed before this - if you are experienced
you may see some things to do differently right away, or after one batch
you may want to change it in some way.  If I can be of any help OR IF
you find some improvements to this recipe please let me know. Good Luck!
END

Dave Curtis
Microbiology Technologist   EPB/NF
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

For non government recipients:
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official
position of my employer or the organization through which the
Internet was accessed."