From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:18:05 -0700

I am going to copy and paste the responses as some are too long and the
information too important to just summarize.  Here they go:

1. I have a Zojirushi bread machine.  I called the makers of Red Star yeast.
They gave me the following settings:

Everything should be room temperature.

Mix - 20 minutes
Rise - 70 minutes
Bake - 60 minutes
Temperature - 350 degrees

2. I like 5 minute preheat,

15 minute knead (but always check as you may need a few more drops of water
or may need to use a spatula to help the dough off the sides)

35 minute rise (if you wait too long, Bette Hagman says the yeast gets
exhausted and will crash during baking)

1 hour or more bake.

3. In my Zojirushi I make my bread on the following cycle:

Warm:  15 minutes
Mix:  18 minutes
Rise:  43 minutes
Bake:  55 minutes
Crust:  Medium

4. I warm for 15 min, knead for 15 min, rise only once for 35 min and bake
for an hour and 10 min.  That's the formula I was given.

5. Guess it will vary some depending upon the type of bread being made. I
do, however, keep this same program for everything and it seems to work OK.
I generally only make two varieties of bread. First is basic white and brown
rice flour (also has a wee lesser amount of potato starch). The other is
mostly a bean bread with some soy and potato and tapioca starch thrown in.

Any way. I have it mix for 15 to 17 minutes, Rise only once for 20 minutes
and then bake for 55 minutes.

6. We suggest using the Home Bakery Cycle which allows you to cutomize the
kneading, rising, band baking time for each loaf of bread.

To use this cycle, press the SELECT button until the arrow in the timer
window points to the Home Bakery choice in the lower right hand corner.
The other arrow will be on medium.

Then press the cycle button in the home bakery square.  It will allow you
to move through the various settings in that cycle. As each setting
appears in the timer window, you can determine the amount of time by
pushing the time button to the left of the cycle button. Settings can
also be turned to off by pushing the time button until off appears. The
program can be reset for each bread or changed as you wish.  We like to
use the following settings in our home bakery cycle:

Warm- 10 min Knead- 18 min Rise 1-off Rise 2 -off Rise 3 -55 min bake -
they suggest 55 but I use 1:10, the max. as I have found that it
sometimes takes some breads longer and you can always check at 55 and
leave in earlier but you CANNOT bake any longer if that is what you had
it set for, meaning you cannot reprogram and start it up again.  It
takes quite a while for the machine to cool down before you can use it
again, as it will not restart until then. I'm not even sure if you can
just bake in it anyway.  I found that out the hard way the first time. warm off.

I always mix everything up in a large plastic bowl.  No matter what
anyone says, I have tried several times not doing so and have had streaks
of flour through the bread and it has risen unevenly. I find this much
easier than to stand there and help the mixing along with a spatula.
Besides, when I have done that, I found that one time I must have
disloged one of the blades and it was baked in the bread and the bread
only rose on one side.  I wouldn't think that it would do the machine a
lot of good to keep doing this either. It's just one more bowl to wash
but the suggestion usually falls on deaf ears, for some reason.

They say that the texture should be thinner than cookie dough, but
thicker than cake batter.  Be careful when adding water. Don't add the
max. till it has mixed a while and you check it.

Sue