From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 21:51:35 -0700

<<I have seen a few notes on this list lately complaining about raisins
treated with oil to prevent sticking.  Why would oil be a problem for
celiacs?>>

1.) Oil is not at the center of what was being discussed. Celiacs should
be aware that, if their raisins don't stick together, it's a good idea
to ask the distributor if they are processed with OAT flour. If you're
lucky, the distributor will say that the reason they don't stick
together is because they are oiled. I have learned about oat flour in
raisins from several discussions with raisin distributors.

2.) Just in case your misreading has alarmed some newbies, let me
mention that oil is an issue in the gf diet if it is wheat germ oil.
There are a few of us celiacs who need to omit canola oil, which
unfortunately appears in several wonderful GF and LF products.  I used
to get occasional celiac symptoms long after going GF, and can vouch for
the usefulness of challenging canola oil. As it turns out, my canola
reaction is identical to my gluten reaction.

3.) In general, celiacs should be very observant when buying bulk and
bulk packaged foods, because with every handling/processing step,
chances of contamination increase. Notice if the scoops are
<<dedicated>> to one bin and if the bulk section seems to be managed by
a compulsive cleaner (these are good things). Keep track of the
slightest symptoms, especially when you try a new product.

All the best,
Mary C.
Los Angeles