From:
charlie white <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:01:11 -0500

Thought this might be interesting to some people on the list.
Yesterday I called a naturalist doctor in my local area.  She explained to
me that their focus was on preventative medicine and they send their blood
tests to Great Smokies Lab.  The first thing they have you do is take a one
hour and a half nutrition course, explaining how the body processes
food(kidneys, liiver etc.) and good nutrition practices.  This is followed
by a one and a half hour visit to the naturalist where they ask very
personal questions and study the person themselves, after which they may
prescribe vitamins supplements or herbs or both.   She explained this may or
may not be paid for by insurance.  It is $30. for the nutrition course and
$125.00 for the initial visit.  She said she has no celiac patients but
seemed knowledgeable about celiac disease.  Also she stated that celiac
disease is caused by a missing enzyme where gluten enteropothy is more of an
allergy to all grains, implying that celiac disease cannot be cured but
gluten enteropothy can.

Thinking it over this sounds like a good kind of doctor for celiacs
depending of course on what other problems a person might have.
I am not promoting this kind of care, I just wondered if other people on the
list have found naturalists useful.  What do you all think of this?   I
certainly think the course on nutrition would be excellent.  Doctors cannot
help us with nutrition as they dont have the training.

Janet in Maine