From:
Bridget Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:49:43 EST

I posted the question of whether maltitol, the sweetener, is derived from
gluten-containing products.

Two people suggested that I go to this site
<http://www.celiac.com/forbiden.html>
>This is a useful list of foods and
>additives that are safe, and those that are not safe for celiacs.

The above link redirected me here <http://www.celiac.com/safe_forbidden.html>

One person said
>Maltitol is a sugar alcohol, not from "malt" as the name might suggest.
>I consider it safe for celiac disease.

And here's a helpful note about using Maltitol.

> Malitol is listing under
>safe additive but be careful.  Malitol has a laxative effect for a lot of
>people (not just celiacs).  I have a problem with it if I eat more than a
>little.

Seems to me that should be a consideration for lots of us.

Thanks everyone.