From:
Luca Bianchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 14:37:30 -0500

This is the summary of some of the suggestions I have received on the
subject of home-made GF ice cream cones (So far, I have not tried any of the
recipes, so I can not add personal  comments). To keep this summary short
and "user-friendly" I am including only a selection of the suggestions;
other recipes are to be found in the archives.

A. Instead of normal GF flour, try using the Gluten Free Pantry Pancake and
Waffle Mix.

B. This is the most original recipe: melt some butter, marshmallows (!) and
vanilla. Then mix GF rice crispy (Rice twice) cereal. Press them into muffin
tins and freeze. Add also peanut butter, if you like it.

C. Rather than trying cones, make thin waffles and use them to make ice
cream sandwich.

D. Add a bit of corn starch to any recipe you use.

E. Melt and let cool 1/4 cup of butter. Beat until very stiff 2 egg whites.
Fold in gradually 3/4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4
tsp vanilla. Fold in 1/2 cup sifted gluten free flour blend. Add the cooled
butter folding it in gently. Cook on iron.

F. Reesa's favorite: 1 cup sugar. 3 eggs, separated. 1/2 cup butter. 1 cup
whipping cream, whipped. 2 cups GF flour. Salt. Xantham gum to make
consistency of a thick batter 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. 1/2
teaspoon cardamom or crush seeds. ---> Beat egg yolks until light. Add sugar
and beat well. Add melted butter, whipped cream, vanilla and cardamom. Fold
in stiffly beaten egg whites befor adding flour. Bake in iron and roll on
cone.

G. Reesa's "second best": 4 eggs. 1 cup sugar. 1 cup melted butter or
margarine. 2 cups GF flour. 1/4 cup cornstarch. 1 teaspoon vanilla. Xantham
gum. ---> Mix in order given and bake on iron.

H. MJ's "real thing": 1/4 cup GF margarine. 2 Ener-G foods powdered egg
whites (or 2 egg whites). 1 egg, separated. 1 cup sweet rice flour. 3/4 cup
GF confectioner's sugar. 1/8 tsp salt. 1/2 tsp GF vanilla. ----> Melt
margarine and cool. Separate the egg white from the yolk. Beat the three egg
whites with salt until very stiff. Combine and sift flour and sugar and
gently fold egg whites into dry ingredients. Add vanilla and egg yolk to
melted margarine, stirring gently. Add to egg white mixture stirring with a
wire whisk until smooth and the consistency of pancake batter. Spoon by
teaspoonfuls onto the iron. Cook for 75 seconds or or until golden brown.
Remove and roll immediately into a cone.

I: MJ's first variation: for a sweeter cone, reverse the quantity of sugar
and flour.

J. MJ's second variation: for a chocolate cone, add 1/4 cup cocoa to the dry
mixture.

Good luck to everybody.

Luca