From:
Howard Kass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 00:31:46 -0500

It's taken longer than we anticipated, but we've compiled the responses we
received to our survey, and we'd like to share them with the list.  Thanks
to everyone who replied to us.

We received 44 responses to our query, representing 11 different brands of
bread machines.  The most popular brand was Welbilt (18), but many of them
were probably older machines that were acquired before there was an abundance
of choices available.  The next most popular brand was Red Star (9) followed
by Zojirushi (7).  There were 2 each of Hitachi, Black & Decker, and Oster,
and 1 each of Toastmaster, Regal, Panasonic, and Goldstar.

The most popular models were the Red Star 100, Welbilt ABM150 and 100.  Of
those who responded to the question of which cycle they used, the most
common was the regular bread cycle with 16 responses (52% of those who
responded to this question).  Only 6 people indicated that they used a
programmable cycle (20%).

Not all the Zojirushi owners had the programmable model.  Four of the Zo's
were programmable, and three were not.  Half the Zo owners use the regular
bread cycle, and half use the programmable mode.

Eleven of the Welbilt owners use their regular bread cycle, and four use
the programmable cycle.

A little about our experience with bread machines:

We ran across a Zo at Best Products for what appeared to be a great price.
It was a Q-15 (not programmable), but we reasoned that it was a Zo, so it
must be good, and at the price, it was worth a try.

Our first attempts at GF bread were mediocre at best.  They were VERY moist
and quite doughy at the bottom.  The problem, however, was not the machine,
but, rather, the user.  After doing some research, reading our Bette Hagman
book, and talking with the folks from Red Star, we came to understand that
since we were using oriental rice flour, we needed to use less liquid in
the mix.  We reduced the liquid by about 1/4 of a cup which improved the
results considerably.  When a non-celiac friend reluctantly tasted a slice
of bread, she was pleasantly surprised, and said, "Wow, this tastes just
like real bread!"

Our conclusion is that if it has a strong motor, and a well designed
kneading blade, almost any bread machine will produce good results.

Most machines need a little help with a rubber spatula during first few
minutes of the mixing cycle to ensure that the flour is mixed in thoroughly.
Ridges in the baking pan aid the mixing of the dough, and a handle
is important in getting the pan in and out.  Our machine has a preheating
cycle which is a plus (we think) in ensuring the right temperature of the
ingredients, especially if you keep the flour in the freezer or
refrigerator, or don't have a thermometer to gauge the temperature of the
liquids.  A yeast dispenser is not necessary.

"More From the Gluten Free Gourmet," by Bette Hagman has a section on
selecting a bread machine (pages 25-31) that includes pictures of different
kneading blades and bread pans.  The book also has several bread recipes,
both for the machine and traditional bread making.  We also received GF
bread recipes from Zojirushi, Red Star, West Bend, as well as from this list.

Although nobody responded saying that they had a West Bend machine, we
understand that they also work well with GF bread.  Another plus of West
Bend is that they have a toll free hotline that is open until 10:00 p.m.
EST.

Hopefully, this will help to make a confusing and difficult decision
easier.  If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail us directly at

Cindy & Howard

--
Howard J. Kass, CPA                        [log in to unmask]
Cindy Koller-Kass                          Voice: (216)831-4141