From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:45:44 -0700

I'm still receiving responses from many of you to my question about
calcium that is easy to swallow.  This is one I did not include in my
earlier summary.  I am posting this info per Tracey's request.  If you
have specific questions about it, please email her as I'm not well
versed on this type of calcium.  Tracey's email is:  [log in to unmask]

"Your info re the calcium lit up my screen as my 16 year old daughter
was just diagnosed with osteopenia (early osteoporosis) 3 weeks ago.
AS she is so young Fosamax and others weren't suitable and the Dr.
ordered her onto 800 iu's of vitamin D and 1500 of calcium.  Needless to
say calcium citrate and all the other "over the counter" ones don't even
begin to come close to what this kid needs at only l00 mg of elemental
calcium per tablet/capsule!Our naturopath made it very clear that that
kind of calcium is useless for celiacs due to the malabsorption of the
intestine AND that fact that the is the kind of calcium that enters the
blood stream and floats around the system without targeting the bones -
where it is mandatory a cealic get it.  She has perscribed "formula OSX"
from Genestra Brands by Seroyal manufacturing.  Each tablet (sorry, it
IS a horsepill!) contains 250 mg. of HYDROXYAPATITE calcium. This is the
highest dosage on the Canadian (and I presume the American) market.
This is the ONLY calcium that targets the bone directly!  This is an
extremely important distinction to note.It also contains magnesium 125
mg, phosphorus (hydrooxyapatite) 100 mg, Molybdenum, 25 mb,D3 25 mg,
Vanadium 20 mcg.  I supplement her with and extra 400iu of D, depending
upon the number of minutes she spends in the sunshine.  The calcium is
derived from New Zealand Veal bone."