Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:18:45 -0800

United announced this policy back in January as needed in their struggle
to survive.  Since they had never really gotten the gluten free meal
quite right (in my experience) this policy does not change much.  I have
had numerous exchanges with them by e-mail and phone with no results,
and no apologies other than the standard "sorry for any inconvenience."
(My husband who flies 100,000 miles/year on United gets apologies
if he is delayed an hour.)

I agree a flood of calls might get their attention, but I think that there
is the problem of United not wanting responsibility for illness - there is
no potential risk in serving an incorrect vegetarian meal.  I have suggested
that our diet can be easy and cheap, no special preparation needed - simple
veggies, baked potato, plain chicken, piece of fruit, etc.  I have suggested
that the same special meal could be prepared for several diets including
ours, to save money and time.  Having seen no change over a period of years,
I do not believe my messages were sent to the caterer.  Other airlines I have
flown seem to do better. I even got a double sized hot gf meal once when the
regular meal was a sandwich.

When I asked United for their suggestion on how to handle an international
flight, they informed me they are not allowed to heat food carried on by a
passenger.  I presume we could ask for hot water to mix with a dried soup.
Sometimes the crew members are sympathetic and do special things - like
bring extra lettuce from first class, or maybe a plain fish.  But we cannot
expect this, and the only option seems to be the fruit plate.  Not exactly
adequate for a long flight, or even available when flights are changed at
the last minute, as mine was to Hong Kong last year.

I think we need to get their attention and to offer them useful advice -
perhaps with the help of our organizations - so that they can understand
how easy it is to accommodate us.  Airline food does not have to be
wonderful, but a little sustenance is required when captive for long hours.
There is absolutely no reason they cannot provide ordinary gluten free food
for the same cost they offer food to non-celiacs.  Some of the regular
passengers might prefer a simple gf meal to the choices they have.

Martha in Half Moon Bay, CA