From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:41:48 -0500

Before having CD, I never really sifted flours.  Now I do, as that is what I read is best to do.  Does it make much difference if you sift once, twice or three times?  Seems someone told me more is better.  The pumpkin brownies that were listed here a few weeks ago came out so high the first time, and only half as high this time.  I wondered if it was the sifting....or something else.   I didn't miss a single ingredient.

Second question:  I did buy a new sifter after being diagnosed....even got a Martha Stewart one....   It is a 3 level sifter and I have been noticing that I was getting dark specks in my flour.   Upon examining this very closely, I find I am getting rust specks coming through from this stupid thing.   I wash  and dry it as best I can.  I can hear loose pieces in there rattling around.  But wouldn't you think they would make this thing out of rustproof material?    Today I washed it and threw it in the cooling oven to quickly dry it.  HOpe this helps.   Anyone got better suggestions??

Thanks for your help.

Bev