Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:08:25 -0500

In addition to what I’ve already written the other day about Saratoga
Springs, NY, the areas surrounding and Albany, NY area had a lot of other
options for the gluten free.

When I arrived in Albany it was supper time, so we went directly to PF
Changs, just a short ride from the airport.  The meal seemed lovely enough,
I ordered the salmon GF of course, I didn't even use the GF soy sauce,
however on the way home 1 1/2 hours thru country roads I began to feel
unwell. Needless to say I was disappointed.  This laid me low for a day or
two, which was just as well as I was able to fish for rainbow trout and
bass, roam the woods & read close by a restroom on a relative's property....

My brother in law has a motorcycle we were able to borrow.  I packed picnics
and beverages and we ate at scenic sites along the way.  This is the
heartland of the descendents of the Revolutionary War, and there are
wonderful original 1700s Forts, Indian Museums, 1700s churches with well
tended graveyards, many places to view and stop at smooth rock babbling
brooks thru dark and lovely woods you can walk along, all to visit very
casually.  If you plan on fishing be sure to get your state license for the
period you plan on staying; game wardens seemed to be everywhere.  There is
a famous Ice Cream Roadstop called Granny's, it's supposedly the 3rd largest
selling ice cream establishment in the country.  I did not partake but my
husband visited this place numerously on his expeditions with his brother.

Another fun thing you can do is go digging for diamonds, the most famous
excavation sight being Herkimer Diamond Mines, in Herkimer.  There are
several other open pit mines in the area that offer this fun adventure,
especially attractive to children and young teens.

Prior to my visit, Lisa of Saratoga sent me some great info.  It is:

The Albany newspaper, Times Union, has a gluten free blog
www.timesunion.com.  She says the woman is constantly updating what’s going
on in the area.

Sherry Lynn's Restaurant - 836 Troy-Schenectady Road, Latham, NY - is a
totally gluten free restaurant, I believe.  It is on Route 7 zip 12110.  I
unfortunately did not get to visit this place, was not close by to me.  On
my list #1 for next visit to the relatives when I get off the plane.
www.sherrylynnsglutenfree.net

The PF Changs I think I got a reaction from was in Colonie, which is right
next to Albany, near airport.  I will say it was an extremely busy Friday
night, I couldn't believe the amount of people they handled, so that's an
example of what could happen when you go at busy times.  Next time, it's
directly to Sherry Lynns...

Mexican in Albany - didn’t get to try this one but next time for sure.  El
Loco's Mexican Restaurant, 465 Madison Ave., Albany, NY 12210.  Lisa says
this was always a favorite of hers even before she went GF.  I believe she
said they had a gluten free menu too.

The Ginger Man Restaurant - think it's Albany.  Doesn’t' have a GF menu but
Lisa said chef is very knowledgeable.

Other places in Saratoga I didn't previously mention:
Olde Bryan Café
Ravenous
Hattie's - saw their advertisement in a Saratoga travel guide - Lisa says
they make Jambalya that is GF and catfish can be made GF, just make sure you
let the chef know.
Longfellow's
Wheatfield's - this is right on the main strip near art galleries - I
mentioned them in a previous post and said I didn't go in, but in Lisa's
post to me she mentioned they supposedly make their own GF pasta (now that
is something to taste) and you can have several of their sauces.
And if someone hasn't seen my previous post, the two highlights that made my
day for Saratoga were:
KD's Fish Fry for lunch - see my previous post for raves
Mangino's Italian Restaurant directly on Saratoga Lake - see my previous
post for raves

Pizza in the area:
Pizzeria Uno at Crossgates Mall now offers a GF pizza.  Lisa hadn't tried it
yet.  I unfortunately didn't get the chance.

Nunzio's Restaurant, Saratoga, 119 Clinton Ave. Telephone 518 584 3840.
Lisa says they make AWESOME PIZZA. I unfortunately didn't get to this either
and will try this before I try Pizzeria Uno.

Sorry you can't double click on any of the websites I've provided, I've
typed this in plain text rather than HTML.

I get to visit this area on a regular basis because my relatives live there,
but I would highly recommend this area as a fly into vacation for a
drive-about New England adventure for Celiacs.

Happy travels, Dorina