From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:46:03 -0400

In view of Megan Tichy's excellent explanation, I have a question for
the list --
I have a celiac daughter (biopsied) and my husband and I both had
positive blood test.  Megan
mentions antibodies in connection with connective tissue and smooth
muscle.  Our daughter
has numerous signs of connective tissue disorder (yet to be diagnosed
which) and her Dad looks
like he may have Marfans syndrome because he fits the model even more
than her.  We know that
celiacs have an increased risk of other autoimmune problems.  So I am
wondering if being celiac
predisposes you to connective tissue disorders?  I would appreciate
hearing from anybody who
is both celiac and has a connective tissue disorder (hypermobility,
Marfans, Ehlrers Danlos etc).
Thanks and I will summarize.
Paula in Pa.

part of what Megan said:
> an "inappropriate" reaction
> to gliadin like tissue transglutaminase (tTG), and proteins from part
> of connective tissue or smooth muscle fibers: reticulin and
> endomesium. So, if you have CD you may produce:
>
> anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA),
> anti-tTG, anti-reticulin antibodies (ARA),
> anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA)
and