From:
Donal Dunne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:03:31 -0400

     Hi,
     We have a 3 year 3 month  old boy who has shown all the symptoms of
     celiac since about 6 months old. He started out as a very healthy and
     weighty baby. He was breast fed until 6 months and weaned over the
     following few months. That's when the touble started.

     While we were very concerned, the general response from the medical
     community was not to worry, it was just a toddle problem which will
     disappear.

     At 3 months he weighed 14 lbs, having been 8 lbs at birth. He now
     weights 22 lbs. His height is about that of a 2 year old (92 cms). We
     placed him on a celiac diet last October for 6 months, and he actually
     grew during that time. On medical advice we put him back on normal
     food in April, and he has detioriated since, diarrheoa, vomiting,
     listless and very fuzzy mentally.

     My own sister has been diagnosed a celiac in middle age. There is no
     record of any other caliac in either family.

     Both last September and this spetember he had the entire battery of
     tests, which gave clear biopsy results, normal bloods, and no allergic
     reactions. SO he is 'definitely' not celiac, not using scientific
     criteria.

     He has now gone back on gluten free food for the last week, and has
     transformed. Loads of energy, interested in food, playing etc.

     Has anybody any similar experience, or advice on anything else to look
     for. There was a mail a few weeks ago on some conditions which show
     similar symptoms to celiac but are not. Perhaps someone has this in
     their archives.

     This mail list is a relief.

     Thanks,

     Donal.