From:
Olive Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Olive Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:55:37 -0800

HI,

Thanks everybody for all the good info regarding my celiac/manic depressive question.  I will wait one more day in case any one else contributes, and then post the summary.

Another question:

Celiac/gluten intolerance is a tricky subject to explain, and I wonder if folks could share some of the techniques they found successful, (and NOT successful) regarding informing relatives that they are genetically "exposed" to this condition and conventional medical science recommends that they be tested. Is there a magic form letter floating around that works?

There is a lot of effort going into educating the general public on CD/gluten intolerance, but how do individuals educate others "safely"?  We have friends/relatives who are sick and some have been grateful for the information, as we were.  Others have been actually vicious and even laughed at our family member(s) who have been ill for years.  They think that just because we told them about the condition, we are inferring that they have it, and they will tell you before they know ANY facts that they definitely do NOT have it.  We interact with some of these people constantly, so they need to know our limitations, even though we don't expect special treatment.  We can handle our own food, but can't eat theirs.  It's scarey out there.

Thanks,
Olive