From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 09:51:39 -0500

Carol Ness, who wrote the article "Against theGrain" on May 22 in the San
Francisco Chronicle, has just advised me that my letter was used by their
"Letters to the Editor" section.  I think you can access it at this link....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/25/FD
G8ACT6301.DTL

In case that didn't work for you, here is the text down below.

It is nice to see celiacs get a little more coverage this way.  Thank you
again Carol Ness.

Anne Barfield
San Antonio, Texas
www.chickenparadise.com

LETTERS TO FOOD
Education is key to living with celiac disease

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

 Printable Version
Email This Article

Editor -- I read Carol Ness' gluten-free story ("Against the grain,'' May
11) on SFGate and I just wanted to thank her for writing it. My brother-
in-law and my two nephews and niece all have celiac disease, which was only
recently diagnosed. Their lives have certainly been significantly altered by
this development, and it has also been a big adjustment for our family to
learn how to support them.

The more people become aware of these issues, the more likely we are to
generate changes that will benefit all of us, as with the improved food-
labeling guidelines. Now if we can just get them to require the gluten
warning as well as the wheat on all packaged foods.

I stock some gluten-free goods in my pantry now for when my sisters and
their families visit, and I agree there are many good, quality products out
there. The Gluten Free Pantry produces a scone mix that makes the best
scones I have ever tasted.

JENNIFER KLAY
Berkeley

-- -- --

Editor -- I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 1998, and my mission is to
get the word out so that we don't have such a hard time being sociable. I
have educated some of the best restaurants here in San Antonio and know that
I can go out to eat safely, but it is so much easier to just eat at home. I
used to go to San Francisco every year and have found no problems getting
restaurants to provide me with lovely, elegant gluten-free meals. Hawthorne
Lane was one of the best.

My husband has learned that if a chef is willing to come out and talk to me
and plan something special, we do that first. Then when they ask my husband
what he wants, he will say, "Oh! I will have what she is having!"

ANNE BARFIELD
San Antonio

-- -- --

Editor -- The Roman Catholic Church just recently refused to allow
parishioners who are gluten-intolerant to replace the wheat wafers with
rice- based wafers for communion.

In my own Episcopal Church, All Saints San Francisco, we have a couple of
parishioners who have this condition. They bring homemade rice wafers to
church and give it to the priest before the Mass so that he/she can bless
them.

JOHN CHASE
Alameda

----
.
Address remarks to Letters to Food, The Chronicle, 901 Mission St., San
Francisco, CA 94103. Or e-mail [log in to unmask] Please include you name
and city for publication, and a phone number for verification. Letters may
be edited.

Page F - 7