From:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:19:24 -0800

After I posted my summary, I heard from another of our listmates.  The Splendid Table had a short piece on biodegradable eating utensils included in their broadcast of January 24.  Included in the listing for the show is a link to a company called Green Earth Office Supply that carries disposable cutlery made of wheat.  Searching their site for "wheat" reveals that they also have an office copy paper made of wheat.

They also sell biodegradable products made from cornstarch and potato starch, and they sell cellophane bags that are biodegradable, but the material is unspecified.

Here are the links:

http://www.splendidtable.org/listings/shows04_01.html

To the catalog for Green Earth Office Supply:

http://store.yahoo.com/greenearthofficesupply/

I don't know if the process to produce "plastic" from wheat renders it gluten-free or not.

Deborah in OKC

Do you Yahoo!?