Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:24:09 -0600

Hi, Thanks to all for your suggestions.  First there is a website,
www.bayareaceliacs.org/restaurants.htm, which is a blog on restaurants
in the Bay Area.  They don't have restaurants that have gluten free menus
except for the usual Outbacks and PF Chang's, etc.  That was disappointing.
I am from New York and we are fortunate to have numerous restaurants with
special GF menus courtesy of GFRAP. The Bay Area should too!

Old files were generously provided, but some restaurants and cafes that
were accomodating are no more, like Alma's.  The Dolores Park Cafe's gluten
free baker passed away,I was told, and not replaced.

I went to an organic live food restaurant, reasonably priced and lovely,
Cafe Gratitude, located at 1336 9th Ave, which is near Golden Gate
Park. It is also  at 2400 Harrison St in SF and 1730 Shattuck Ave in Berkeley.
Its web site is at www.CafeGratitude.com.  They said that most of their  menu
is gluten free except for what contained soy sauce.  I felt okay after eating
their pizza, no stomach complaints nor telling DH symptoms.  I would highly
recommend them.

I went to Eric's, a Chinese restaurant in Noe Valley (Sanchez and 27th) that
was recommended. They were not very communicative about the gf, and I was
disappointed in this. I was steered away from the mango chicken by the waiter,
who said that it might have soy sauce.  He would not let me talk to the cook
or manager (not there he said).  I had a cod dish and veggie/tofu with white
sauce dishes.  I did not get sick, but was turned off to their lack of
communication.  Would not go back there.

I went to Amberjack Sushi, also on 27th and Sanchez.  It was fine.  My friend
insisted on my getting vinegar free rice and they were accomodating.  My
friend recommends this restaurant for the quality of the sushi.

I was told that the Daily Grill at 347 Gearywas accomodating.  I went to
Buckeye's in Marin.  The waiter's mother in law had celiac disease,
miraculously, and he was helpful.  However, I itched my DH the next day. I had
eaten simply with salad fish and veggies.

Go to Trader Joe's, Rainbow Groceryand Whole Foods for groceries.  Trader
Joe's was low on gf stuff.

I will continue summary with some additional places that were suggested later
this week.  Again, check restaurants to see if they still exist.
Sincerely, Shereen Rosenthal