Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 12:19:47 +1200

Hi

I have read Jeff' s email in which he quotes David as saying:

`Graham has failed to show why we should accept a paper which shows that
17 out 17 coeliacs showed full-blown CD.'

There are several serious misrepresentations in this statement.

1. My intention has been to draw List members' attention to
peer-reviewed research published in the medical literature. I can only
report the existence of such research. Individual readers must make
their own assessment of the relevance of the material to their own
lives.

2. The paper apparently in question: - Chartrand LJ; Russo PA; Duhaime
AG; Seidman EG. Wheat starch intolerance in patients with celiac
disease. J Am Diet Assoc, 97(6):612-8  1997 Jun - did not claim 17 out
of 17 coeliacs showed reaction to ingesting wheat starch.

3. Furthermore, the text of the paper made no reference whatsoever to
`full blown CD' - whatever that term may mean.

I quote from the full text of the paper: `Only 2 subjects (12%) reported
no symptoms whatsoever after twelve months of wheat starch consumption.
Four others (24%) reported only slight or occasional symptoms, including
two who complained of intermittent diarrhea. Eleven subjects (64%)
experienced symptoms disturbing enough to alter their well-being.
Despite their stated preference for the flavour and texture of the wheat
starch product, they decided to withdraw from the study because of at
least two intolerable symptoms that lasted more than two weeks. The
onset of symptoms ranged from within two weeks to eight months... Adverse
symptoms resolved within 10 days to 3 weeks of discontinuing wheat
starch bread.'

Interested List members are likely to be able to obtain a copy of the
complete paper via their nearest Medical School Library.

Incidently, the following is the abstract of research on the same topic,
published in 1985.

Ciclitira PJ; Cerio R; Ellis HJ; Maxton D; Nelufer JM; Macartney JM.
Evaluation of a gliadin-containing gluten-free product in coeliac
patients. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr, 39(4):303-8  1985 Jul.  ( Country of
Publication: England )

Abstract: Gluten-free products based on wheat starch contain gliadin
which exacerbates coeliac disease. A cross-over study was carried out in
which ten treated coeliac patients ingested six slices daily of
home-baked gliadin-containing gluten-free bread for 6 weeks. While
jejunal biopsy morphometry and 51Cr-EDTA excretion were similar after
the test and control periods, four of the subjects reported diarrhoea
associated with the gliadin-contaminated gluten-free product. Wheat
starch-based gluten-free products can cause persistent symptoms in
treated coeliac patients.

Graeme
NZ