From:
Joe Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:58:36 -0600

I found a snack/energy bar called Eat Natural at Cost Plus/World Market.
They have several different flavor combinations of dried fruit, nuts, and
puffed rice. It's a British product, and is labeled gluten-free. I noticed,
however, that label indicates that the puffed rice in the bar is sweetened
with malt, source unspecified. I wrote to the company to find out the
source of the malt. Here's their response:

------begin quote-
Dear Joe

You have brought up an important issue that we are currently trying to resolve.

The malt in our puffed rice is extracted from maize malt but as you say
there may be problems even with that source and even though the puffed rice
is declared gluten free. I understand that for certain coeliac conditions
this may still pose a problem.

We are, therefore, trying to work with our puffed rice supplier to
eliminate malt altogether from the ingredients used and aim to do this
within the next 6 months.

I hope this helps and thanks you again for your email.

Warm regards

Praveen Vijh
Eat Natural Ltd.
+44 (0)1787 479123
<http://www.eatnaturalstore.com>www.eatnaturalstore.com
-------end quote

If anyone is looking for such a bar, I suspect the product is truly gf as
it stands--and will certainly be so once they've been able to eliminate the
malt from the puffed rice.

I've got no personal interest in the company--just posting so people will
know 1) the product is out there, and 2) there are companies that are
responsive to our needs.

Joe Ellison
Chicago, IL