From:
Howard Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:22:56 -0800

Hi Listmates!

I used to live in California years ago before I knew that I had
problems with gluten, and thought that I knew lots of places where I
could eat safely without worry about it. My most recent trip proved me
wrong.This list has kept me well informed and I am much better at asking
questions when I am eating out. I'm glad that I did.

I was really surprised at the answers to my questions when I asked about
gluten on the menu. Some did not know the word "gluten". Some did not
even make the connection between gluten, wheat, and flour until I
explained it to them!One of my favorite Mexican food chains told me by
phone that they put flour in practically everything, including any sauce
and even the beans. That let them out. A great surprise was when I went
to breakfast at different, and expensive, places to eat. I thought that
simple meals of  ham, eggs and hash browns would present no problem.
However, when I asked the waiters,  I was told that  hash browns had
flour added from their suppliers. This was true at several different
places. I had never thought of anyone adding flour to hash browns or
refried beans before this trip. All goes to show that we need to just
stay aware and ask detailed questions about what we are eating when
going out. I'm glad that I did as it   made this trip my first without
any kind of a reaction! It is nice at times to get away from my
self-prepared gf foods from my hotel room, and I  really appreciate this
list for keeping me on top of the curve with up-to-date information.

Howie,

AZ.