From:
Hutton, Karen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:09:57 -0600

Just a little story about my celiac son.  He's 8 now and at daycare they
made paper-bag trick or treat bags.  His was very colorful on one side, lots
of bats, pumpkins, etc and on the other side he printed, Trick or Treat, No
Wheat Please.  Thought that was very inventive of him.

When he is trick or treating and the giver has a bowl of assorted treats, he
will ask specifically for something cause he has "allergies".  He has people
asking if it's peanuts he can't have and when he says no wheat, rye, barley
and oats most people give him a couple of the things he can have.

We bring all the goodies home (for all the kids) and they each take their
special stuff out.  The rest goes in one big pile for sorting, GF vs. non-GF
then it gets distributed.  He was diagnosed at 20mths old so we have been
doing this since his first Hallowe'en.  The other kids are older than him
but they saw how sick he was so they don't mind pooling and sharing the
goodies.

I use the lists and information from this list as well as 1-800 numbers from
the bags of candies.  You have to go to the store and get the 1-800 numbers
off the bags before Hallowe'en since the indivdual treats usually don't have
the info on them.