Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:56:15 -0800

Hi Listmates,

I have had my annual colonoscopy with several biopsies to check for
microscopic colitis with no problems but am still awaiting results of
biopsies.  I am also intolerant to corn.  My prep was nulytely orange
flavored which I took without problems and I received Normal saline via IV
to keep vein open and fentanyl and versed for sedation.  I had no problems
whatsoever with any of the drugs and the procedure was not painful.  The
good news is things looked so good I don't have to have another for 3 years.

A few responded that I shouldn't have any problems with IV meds, as these
bypass the digestive system.  Please keep in mind that people can be
allergic to IV drugs too - I had a severe anaphylactic reaction to Demerol
IV many years ago for infertility surgeries, had had Demerol before without
problems, then all of a sudden I turned up severely allergic to it.  I don't
claim that my allergy to Demerol has anything to do with CD.  I am also
allergic to sulfa since a child.

1 said they had the nulytely prep without problems but didn't know if it was
corn free - I think it is corn free as I am very sensitive.  I was unable to
get through to manufacturer, was put on hold for too long too many times.

I didn't call manufacturers of fentanyl or versed.

Most of my responses were asking for a summary, so here it is.

The MD who did the colonoscopy also diagnosed my CD on endoscopy, and he was
more than happy to do biopsies during the procedure to check for microscopic
colitis at my prompting.  For those of you looking for a good GI MD at
Medical Center Houston email me.

I urge everyone over 50 to have a colonoscopy, perhaps earlier if you have
GI problems, as I am a colon cancer survivor who was diagnosed on routine
colonoscopy.

Good luck and good health, Dorina, near Galveston, TX [log in to unmask]