From:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:18:36 -0600
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Listmates,

There are a number of comments on the Summary RE: Bob's Red Mill
Flour & Xanthan Gum posted on 11/13/04, that concerned me.

Bob's Red Mill does have a separate area for GF products--described
on the GF page at http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten_free_info.php.
You will find a link to the complete list of Bob Red Mill's GF
products on the same page.  Products on this list are labeled GF and
are tested and adhere to the Codex Alimentarius standard for gluten.

Beans are notorious for causing gas along with other foods we eat.
Beans are high in fiber and can have a laxative effect too.  Flours
made with beans can also cause the same problems.  Some folks can't
tolerate a lot of bean products, but can tolerate smaller amounts.
Some tolerate one type of bean and not another--not all beans are the
same.  If you can't tolerate, or develop a tolerance for beans, then
you probably need to avoid them.  There are lists of gassy foods on
the Internet--a Google search will get you some of these lists.
NOTE:  Do give bean flours a fair chance in your diet.  They add
protein, moisture, and fiber to your baked goods.

Gums:

Xanthan  gum is a product of fermentation and is grown off of corn.
The final product tests corn free--source Miss Roben's:
http://www.missroben.com/wheat_allergy_id73.html  NOTE  from Miss
Roben's "Allergen Code" section:  "Most consider xanthan, typically
processed from corn syrup, to be corn-free, with no risk of cross
contamination.  Since it is grown off a corn substrate, we let you
judge, & list it as Corn."

Guar gum is considered to have a potential laxative effect in most
sources.  The comment on Benefiber  being made of guar gum indicates
that it can't be a laxative.  The Benefiber FAQ's include diarrhea as
a side effect.

Betsy
Austin, Texas